积分
威望
包包

精华勋章 金话筒 优秀会员

楼主
发表于 2010-9-17 15:08 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
Glance at last issue:+ i$ G3 A% x' C; d
; h  G  R% t/ s% Z- ~$ f" w
"For studies of X-linked diseases with female iPS cells, one needs to be careful about which X chromosome is expressed."--Kathrin Plath of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA.
2 N" I' |3 X/ h9 Z1 x. J2 ]' @0 K! h7 u
"It is incredibly important for our scientific and legislative leaders to come together and solve this issue quickly. We have already lost so many years of work to backwards-looking and bureaucratic federal policy."--Connecticut attorney general and U.S. Senate candidate Richard Blumenthal.
  l- K' ~1 L  }; H
5 Y4 Y- t1 f) S, Q- S"It’s pretty frustrating when you work so hard to see something go unfunded for political reasons."--Lawrence Rizzolo, the director of medical studies at the Yale School of Medicine.
$ `% N+ O) O" |! M3 q! m) J* n. Z7 W& k' @* H
"The patient is in danger of losing their life and health, needlessly traveling long distances away from home, friends and family, not having their condition improved, and potentially losing a large sum of money."--Chris Mason of University college London’s (UCL) regenerative medicine bioprocessing unit.# P! F. K; g" i3 @! L
( i' k! D6 Y' g# n
"The main issues around licensing a therapeutic are not just that it's safe... but also to show efficacy. None of these companies has ever been through that type of procedure...Unfortunately we are dealing with patients who are completely desperate and willing to try anything."--Robert McLaren, a consultant at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.% D- N  e- \5 f2 m2 F. b
$ ^; k4 i7 S4 X- v, r( }: I% z
"It is an honor to collaborate with Beike on this seminal publication. The fact that Beike has been able to demonstrate safety of transplant by manipulating an established stem cell source is a substantial advancement for the field. These new findings could open up the use of cord blood for non-hematological diseases, something that to date has not been performed on a wide-spread basis."--Medistem CEO Thomas Ichim.
8 h: P  F% u2 B! {1 }
9 \7 F0 G3 C5 S8 @6 ~9 O"This groundbreaking research is consistent with the safety record we have compiled after providing stem cells for the treatment of more than 8,000 patients. It is our hope that studies and peer-reviewed articles such as this one will help strengthen our ties to the western medical and scientific research community by demonstrating that Beike's stem cell protocols are both effective and safe."--Dr. Travis Ye, Beike Biotech's CEO.$ e$ [+ q- ?3 Q/ j& X

. u: l* p: A$ b0 h"Since p53 is a critical tumor suppressor, you cannot suppress p53 to prevent the depletion of adult stem cells since it will induce cancer. But you can target Puma to prevent p53-mediated depletion of adult stem cells, because a Puma deficiency does not promote the development of cancer. This gives us a nice target for preventing the p53-dependent depletion of adult stem cells in response to DNA damage. If you can suppress Puma function, you can rescue a lot of the adult stem cells that would otherwise be lost after the accumulation of DNA damage such as during cancer therapy."--Yang Xu, a professor of biology at UC San Diego.: r, o+ G* @2 [
5 R  o) W: p6 O% c% `! `
"I want him done. I hate the man. He conned us all. He told me it worked for 80 per cent of the people and he said I would walk again...I was told later it was bovine stem cells. I had an injection in my arm, another in my neck which really hurt and a third in the stomach. It made no difference at all. I just felt really tired afterwards"--Karen Galley, who have threatened to sue a doctor after paying £10,000 for a stem cell treatment that did not work.
8 x$ E5 `! A+ [" \; _# H' Y$ v! F  P2 S9 O% g6 b
"Information on hESCs is essential so that we can discover new niches for adult stem cells in more tissues, learn how they differ from hESCs, and begin to understand how to expand the more limited capacity of adult stem cells. Without government funds to support this research, U.S.-based scientists and physicians will be impeded in developing the blueprint for stem cell therapies that will save lives."--The president of the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR), Elaine Fuchs.
& t" C* ?! [0 U$ @7 E1 |
3 J' @! D- Q- r2 H"This still raises great concerns to stability. The on-again-off-again situation will only stall the progress of everyone’s work, and we’re hoping for a more lasting legislative solution."--Tim Kamp, professor of medicine and physiology in the School of Medicine and Public Health, and director of the Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Center of University of Wisconsin.
# j; H0 h1 S6 \
3 O* y! i2 G2 f" v"We’re very happy with the decision but we’re in limbo. Is this something I want to continue to stake my career on?"--Ted Dawson, the co-director at Johns Hopkins University’s Institute for Cell Engineering in Baltimore.; E% y) N2 ]/ Z! F
- l- F8 a$ H7 P- y6 g. b- c1 i* Y
"I take no solace in the ruling because so much uncertainty remains about the future of human stem cell research. I won't rest peacefully until there is a clear and unambiguous vote of support from the Congress for this vital research."--George Daley.% r7 q) m) d1 S3 F

. T8 P* o- _5 X+ q7 j% c/ DRadio:3 {5 M- o3 \: V! K+ ~
http://www.kqed.org/quest/radio/ ... -stem-cell-research- z' Z- b! Y% e" |" m

% G% [+ w1 a$ O
' j% K/ f# s  ]2 _6 x7 |This issue:# d! o% Z0 ]9 n' K4 k( X* s2 k4 z
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 10 + 20 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 10  包包 + 20   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包
沙发