包包

积极份子 热心会员 帅哥研究员 优秀会员 小小研究员

楼主
发表于 2010-1-14 17:41 |显示全部帖子 |倒序浏览 |打印
本帖最后由 细胞海洋 于 2010-1-14 17:51 编辑
( {" x5 o3 @2 Y- Y$ K0 \& V6 ?  }, S/ s( F! }5 u8 ~
Biotechnology- B+ F7 o4 g$ n) Q% D& Q& e
Fifth edition
% D) T- |; o: BBiotechnology is the major technology of the twenty-first century – yet few
7 s4 i3 U! t; n: N# ppeople realise how much it impacts on many aspects of human society.
  Q0 [' ?% e& h. O# g4 cThe defining aim of this new fifth edition is to re-establish the correct
' R6 m0 t$ P. O; wunderstanding of the term biotechnology. Using the straightforward style& `" h# k' A8 O" f1 x+ B2 @8 L% y
that made the previous editions of his textbook so popular, John Smith
3 C# g7 x. T- X* W) s& o0 d& donce again helps students and general readers alike with the deciphering; H9 }! H5 @8 _$ c
and use of biological knowledge.He explains the historical developments in+ u: c* M8 e: @( ]
biotechnology and the range of activities from brewing beer, the treatment
% Z2 L% u5 x3 _of sewage and other wastes, and the creation of biofuels. He also discusses9 J4 K8 E! r! i, v) f4 G
the innovations in molecular biology, genomics and proteomics, systems7 d4 w) w6 H# y5 i- \$ x2 L% A- B' w
biology and their impact on new biotechnology. In this edition John Smith, _0 \3 k" h- B2 V
also re-examines the ethics and morality of aspects of biotechnology and
# Z* C% O5 ?: [& E+ V$ Wputs new emphasis on stem cells and regenerative medicine and micro% y, g: W4 P: Q% T
RNA.4 R' y$ K8 ~: c1 `0 z- q! D
John E. Smith is Emeritus Professor of Applied Microbiology in the& m  Y6 H3 I0 L+ L9 P% |$ _6 p+ N
Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde,
& g) U7 ^/ A% p- T* Q" {Glasgow and Scientific Advisor to GlycaNova, Norway.
9 o/ A  h+ z! a. _$ Q" B9 c+ j7 ~2 ~6 u- R4 \4 N/ h
Preface' f8 F. M7 G+ a8 ?# f, c- ^
A defining aim of this fifth edition of Biotechnology has been to re-establish
, z) u8 z) L. K" E3 i4 C6 l& @: a% ythe correct understanding of the true meaning of biotechnology.
; ]# T2 J5 M7 MBiotechnology is in essence the deciphering and use of biological knowledge.$ X( P7 C% v9 V: D! I: j
It is highly multidisciplinary since it has its foundations in many
7 V0 i; V4 y1 U( u  D8 U8 R( e3 Cdisciplines including biology, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology,/ W  P0 Q' Y! s& ~9 \/ N7 F
genetics, chemistry and chemical and process engineering. It may also
7 c5 h3 T: F1 z  C6 G/ qbe viewed as a series of enabling technologies that involve the practical8 |/ G, M* ^! f( \3 w1 W  C8 ~
application of organisms (especially microorganisms) or their cellular components. u4 ^) M( \  n+ {8 x
to manufacturing and service industries and environmental management.
. z3 D3 T' a( r1 h" mHistorically, biotechnology was an artisanal skill rather than a
- O' k! g4 ~. u2 Q* ~science, exemplified in themanufacture ofwines, beers, cheeses, etc.where: z) W" q2 W8 m% f! T( `& b
the techniques of manufacture were well worked out and reproducible,. r2 U# D8 }* a& ^( W
while the biological mechanisms were not understood. As the scientific7 L0 U0 S% s( j% s4 w# z- d% P
basis of these biotechnology processes has developed this has led to more
( A% f( P) W$ c3 D- befficient manufacturing of the traditional processes that still represent the
. p& ]' u% u2 ~% Cmajor financial returns of biotechnology, i.e. bread, beers, wines, cheeses,& w. p6 q! M9 D) ?
etc. Modern biotechnological processes have generated a wide range of new
: e: B1 }- ~2 j) qand novel products including antibiotics, vaccines and monoclonal antibodies,$ j* |9 H0 v' {' j  R6 Q* e  b/ ~
the production of which has been optimised by improved fermentation
8 R" Y) ?8 }9 C7 _practices. Biotechnology has been further revolutionised by a range, g! K; T. h0 h' g. i
of new molecular biology innovations, allowing unprecedented molecular
6 u1 C: N# j4 X3 m/ Kchanges to be made to living organisms. The increasing understanding of: U! l& b9 y: X( ^( Y
genomics and proteomics has led to the creation of a vast range of transgenic7 H. C3 {. P$ [4 }
microorganisms, agricultural (genetically modified) crops and animals,' T" G1 w6 k' @3 |2 d: B0 Y) j
and major new recombinant protein drugs, and has revolutionised
/ k) o) q# e$ H% C9 t  Xactivities in the traditional food and drinks industries. In the environment,' _) z1 x1 W4 S
biotechnology innovations are creating major advances in water5 r$ i9 o8 k% W% P3 s+ E4 H  X5 ?
and land management and also remediating the pollution generated by+ G* b: n! R4 [- S, C' F
over-industrialisation., Q' t/ N; Z3 P. G- R% h8 K
There have been vast investments in molecular diagnostics, not only in
0 H# }. j0 W  ~: p$ ^5 Gmedicine but in plant and animal agriculture and the environment. Will! ~# l5 r6 e+ t: ?4 O7 k- b$ U$ m
the huge potential of stem cells for remedial medicine soon be realised?
* q& {8 B5 [. q5 A# g( lUntil recently, much attention has been given to determining the ‘nuts& G/ T, U- p0 o; n' \9 ~- q: z
and bolts’ of biological systems. Now, systems biology is aiming to describe: A+ ^" X$ h, D+ q2 t# `
and to understand the operation of complex biological systems and ultimately3 J9 s4 `9 f2 x8 ~+ V7 n2 @
to develop predictive models of, for example, human disease and- d! p$ ?: x4 u0 [5 _
complex fermenter systems used in biotechnology.
5 m5 q7 e; i5 R! X' R8 S& _  k3 R+ O, rSome of the new aspects of biotechnology, such as genetic engineering,
( M0 O1 b3 Y; }. v- ]9 e/ R) Rhave aroused certain social sensitivities of an ethical, moral and political
/ \3 D# \; M8 s7 {; bcharacter. Regulatory authorities throughout the world are now examining. t  i$ F7 H( ^! Q! L
the implications of these new and revolutionary techniques. It is hoped that1 w$ C; z* W: p  _% Z8 m
common sense will prevail.
2 R( C+ Q! G. J, S; ]. e1 rUndoubtedly, modern biotechnology can only maximise its full potential' I- j" f7 K) r& _, h9 w
to benefit mankind through achieving a basis of public understanding,# E/ m6 P( I# K- d
awareness, and knowledge of the technologies. Participating scientists must learn to communicate openly with the public and attempt to demystify the
9 m# R/ R1 m0 t3 m5 Pcomplex nature of living systems. By doing so they will generate a greater  V8 M1 n- @# O0 W
level of confidence and trust between the scientific community and the
  t6 H- |" i7 W6 s% b) |public at large.
# U" T) F4 |; Y8 PThis expanded fifth edition of Biotechnology is again aimed to give an! C: C7 n9 [2 B8 I) S0 e% q0 a2 _
integrated overview of its complex, multifaceted and often ill-maligned( K+ j+ N7 J, f* w% l" s
subjects, and for some young readers to point the way forward to exciting,+ h3 e# H8 X" w8 g9 B
satisfying and rewarding careers. Biotechnology will undoubtedly be the
! O+ A7 F3 M3 b5 `5 Y+ f0 O" z- Kmajor technology of the twenty-first century and should be so recognised* R1 y4 d# [- V8 |6 P! k6 F
by the lay public.
1 B7 T7 x- N" V% ~I amagain deeply indebted to the long-suffering Elizabeth Clements for0 k1 x- L- F/ t" I* I
her skilful processing of the manuscript and her continued dedication.
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 10 + 10 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 10  包包 + 10   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包

积极份子 热心会员 帅哥研究员 优秀会员 小小研究员

沙发
发表于 2010-1-14 18:25 |显示全部帖子
本帖最后由 lifescience1 于 2010-1-14 18:29 编辑   u. b$ F4 b9 F0 U: Q( q7 T$ X  l
2 z2 U5 z, ?9 G, D3 Y% U
回复 2# 细胞海洋
) }1 n/ N( d; z没关系。版主是对的。我是第一次发。不清楚O(∩_∩)O哈!。谢谢!
+ j, t9 ~6 J6 }# Z, H3 k% h- D* Q很抱歉给你添麻烦了。
‹ 上一主题|下一主题
你需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册
验证问答 换一个

Archiver|干细胞之家 ( 吉ICP备2021004615号-3 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-5 06:57