论坛元老 优秀版主 专家 金话筒 精华勋章 优秀会员

楼主
发表于 2010-7-8 16:49 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
本帖最后由 marrowstem 于 2010-7-8 16:54 编辑
- v# k9 [8 W( g' {' J/ D9 ]2 W9 k' _1 k( }/ e' l
* Y" z' O& ]! J5 B
    《纽约时报》唱衰基因研究 尚未发挥医学作用
/ k, d$ z% R, p9 J. O! S+ g7 G8 W6 H- v! y
    基因组学研究是近20年来最受关注的科研项目之一,许多媒体曾宣传它在癌症、糖尿病、老年痴呆症等疑难杂症治疗方面具有广阔前景,投入大量科研经费的多国政府也对其寄予厚望。6月13日,美国《纽约时报》在头版刊出“唱衰”基因组学研究的评论文章,认为这项研究还停留在基础阶段,要用于临床还有很长的路要走。7 ^: s' ^/ m) e' t+ J& m) X
     : f/ K/ E6 ?) B. q
     基因研究还没发挥医学作用0 N6 z+ }0 Z- Y2 V7 C4 M
     “人类基因组计划”(HGP)由美国科学家在1985年提出,1990年启动。该计划要把人体内约10万个基因的密码全部解开,同时绘制出人类基因图谱。该项目预算为30亿美元,汇集了多国来自各个领域的科学家,规模之大甚至超过美国研发原子弹的“曼哈顿”工程。' N1 Q$ `; k: ~* \7 c
     2000年6月26日,“人类基因组计划”小组宣布完成基因图谱草图。时任美国总统克林顿说,这一进展将“彻底改变我们对绝大多数疾病的诊断、预防和治疗手段”。但迄今为止,基因图谱并没有真正在医学领域发挥作用。1 E3 G0 a4 U5 F. H
      从那时起,研究人员将更多精力用于寻找与疾病有关的基因位点以及基因变体。2002年,美国国立卫生研究院启动了一项耗资1.38亿美元、被称为国际“人类基因组单体型图”(HapMap)的计划,目的是编制欧洲、东亚和非洲的人类基因变体目录,很多大学和研究所也在进行类似研究。2004年10月,人类基因组完成图公布。当时大众对基因组学研究的期望达到顶点,媒体开始憧憬“基因组图谱将成为攻克疑难杂症的指南针”。基因组学研究便以很快的速度成为研究热点。
- M. u! _) V+ x; j) ^      正是在基因组学研究前景的鼓励下,美国伯明翰妇女医院流行病专家妮娜佩因特带领的医疗小组,曾试图收集与心脏病有关的基因变体,希望在治疗方面提供有价值的信息。他们一共收集了101种与心脏病有关联的基因变体。但经过对1.9万名妇女进行的为期12年的跟踪研究,这些收集到的变体最终被证实——不具备预测疾病的实用价值。佩因特在美国《医学协会杂志》2010年2月号上发表的报告称:与基因组学研究相比,反而是已经过时的家族病史研究法更有指导意义。
4 y9 p( Y3 i. U: E! \* ?         基因组学研究的“前程似锦”也让企业界心动,多家制药公司已经投入了数十亿美元,推出了几款基因工程药物。这些药物在概念上倒是很有吸引力,然而很快便湮没无闻。因为与传统药物相比,它们没有明显优势。出现这种现象的主要原因是,大多数疾病的遗传学机理远比我们预想的复杂,在基本科学原理尚未弄清的情况下,谈论医学应用确实操之过急。《纽约时报》援引美国国家癌症研究所主任哈罗德瓦莫斯的话说:“和医学应用相比,基因组学研究更接近科学研究。”' u! @, k  f* w; i# j& v# o8 Z0 u% @

! O1 v& X! D1 g* L     给每人画一张基因组图谱; [% _. L- R" {$ m% g% s
      虽然基因组学研究的现状让人失望,但不能就此认为,“人类基因组计划”当初的承诺是空头支票。很明显,基因组学研究已在很大程度上改变了生物学的现状,使“分子生物学”的意义更加完整,特别是在一些重要领域如合成生物学上起到了关键作用。在此过程中,人们对基因结构有了更深刻的认识。例如,研究人员曾发现代表最高进化水平的人类拥有2.1万个具有蛋白质编码功能的基因,但令人意外的是,蛔虫也拥有差不多的蛋白质编码基因。后来科学家进过深入研究才发现,人类和其他动物的蛋白质编码基因的数量几乎一样,不过,人类的基因排列方式要复杂得多。! W9 f3 E7 c% P6 U5 V' q7 V
      在对基因组学研究进展产生不满后,一些研究人员开始将注意力转向单个基因缺陷引起的罕见遗传病,并在确认病因方面取得了丰硕的成果。去年9月中旬在纽约冷泉港举行的第二次“个人基因组”会议,与会学者的报告给人留下了深刻印象。
$ m" n/ Q! q; r) }9 ?        美国华盛顿大学的杰辛德报告说,用一种测单个外显子(即可编码蛋白质的基因)序列的方法,找到了可能是“米勒综合征”病因的源基因,患这种病的人表现为头部和面部畸形。耶鲁大学的理查德利夫顿也报告了一个基因组测序帮助病人的例子。一名医生让利夫顿研究一名看起来像患了肾病的婴儿。利夫顿的研究团队测定了这名婴儿及其家庭成员的外显子组序列后,在一个基因中发现了一个被命名为“SLC26A3”的遗传变体。它是引起这个婴儿患上先天性氯化物腹泻的原因,这是一种可治疗的病症。. m; ?4 I& H% h3 s7 n
      寻找稀有基因变体的惟一方法,是将一个人类个体的完整基因组排列出来,或至少将其所有的基因编码区排列出来,这需要用到快速而高效的基因组测序技术。当初“人类基因组计划”小组所做的工作,打下了很好的技术基础,不足之处是成本太过高昂。目前,基因组学研究中的一大热门是个人基因组测序,科学界正合力开发“第三代测序技术”,希望降低基因组图谱的绘制成本。
, J8 z2 k  Z* H) H9 i' ?( k      “人类基因组计划”所测序的是由5个人混合的基因,由于地球上所有人的基因组99.9%的部分是相同的,这份基因组图称得上是人类基因组的“参考图”。人与人的基因组序列存在0.1%的差别,这并不意味着不重要,正是这些差别决定了每个人生理上的独特之处,决定了每个人对疾病和药物的反应不同。因此,要实现个性化医疗,势必需要测“个人基因组”。
( g6 H5 c' V0 u
; j+ _: m0 K$ c, ]      基因的作用不宜过分夸大' A/ k8 m5 F8 F! K  e, h1 k
      基因组学研究进展让一些人产生了失望情绪,这里面还有一个重要原因——基因的作用被夸大。在“人类基因组计划”开始和执行期间,基因的作用被一些媒体随意渲染,其中一些描述含有很多夸大成分,对大众形成误导。这些报道给人这样一种印象:基因是万病之源;人的生理特征如长相是由基因决定的,一个人的个性、未来等也与基因扯上了关系;一旦基因组图谱被绘出,那些困扰人类多年的疑难杂症便不在话下。这在无形中使大众对基因组图谱的应用多了一分期待。8 M; u1 S: n! C' a( R5 M5 F6 q
       的确有相当多的信息埋藏在遗传密码(即由A、G、C、T四种碱基组成的基因编码)中,但它们是否决定了一切?复旦大学校长、中科院院士杨玉良在2004年举行的第12次院士大会上进行了题为“从肥皂泡到生命过程——关于基因后生物学的点滴思考”的演讲,他表示,基因对地球生命而言有根本的意义,但生命的有些奥秘比遗传密码埋藏得更深,支配生命体的除了基因,还有一些与基因无关的物理和化学法则。0 u6 L5 k* y, Z  q: p
       杨院士举了几个生动的例子来说明其中的道理。例如,在斑马腿的跟部与腹部的交界处总是出现人字型的花纹,有人说这是基因决定的,而计算发现,无非是因为从腹部到腿跟部表皮的面积突然减小的缘故。那么,每只斑马的条纹是否完全由其基因决定呢?答案是否定的。有个实验的例子:当斑马还是胚胎的时候,在某个固定的地方施加一点摩擦刺激,其图案就明显不同。可见这不是基因决定的。同样的道理,有着斑点状皮毛图案的豹的尾巴上的花纹,一般都是从尾巴跟部的斑点图案过渡到尾巴尖上的条纹图案。这也不是基因决定的,而是因为尾巴尖上皮毛的面积较小,很容易使得斑点连接成条纹图案。
3 n( E1 o* h1 d3 F0 A5 S7 ]( C作者:森堡 来源:青年参考
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 5 + 10 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 5  包包 + 10   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包

沙发
发表于 2010-7-8 16:54 |只看该作者
弗朗西斯·柯林斯:人类基因组计划定能实现其潜力- j, K4 n% p+ Y2 i# H
     10年前的6月26日,人类基因组工作草图绘制完毕。10年来,人类基因组计划使人类不断深化对自身和疾病的认识,给生命科学带来了深远影响,但并未如美国前总统克林顿所说,使“多数人类疾病的诊断、预防和治疗发生***性变化”。
% ~5 `0 M. W& m, J- z      对此,曾担任这一计划的总协调人、现任美国国家卫生研究院院长的弗朗西斯·柯林斯在接受新华社记者采访时表示,长远来看,“人类基因组计划定能实现其潜力”。
6 C4 x) O4 z8 L: [1 [        柯林斯认为,人类基因组计划的最大意义在于它打开了一扇揭示人类生物学巨大和复杂前景的大门。他表示,由于人类基因组测序,科学家拥有了更加强有力的工具,可以研究遗传因素在更复杂的疾病,例如癌症、糖尿病、心脏病中发挥的作用,可以研究人类对艾滋病等传染病的易受感染性。基因组测序推进了从非常罕见到十分普通的遗传疾病的诊断,也使发现新疾病成为可能。此外,基因组研究阐明了衰老的过程,并提供了有关长寿秘诀的诱人线索,能够帮助人们理解甚至可能重组导致衰老的分子机制。& H4 ~5 \# e7 d5 ~% T# F6 y
       柯林斯说,人类基因组计划的目标很简单,就是确定人体基因组的30亿个碱基对的序列。“研究人员明白,碱基对背后隐藏着的信息可以扩展我们有关人体的知识,改善人类健康。不过,他们同样明白,完成人类基因组测序仅是为理解基因组各部分如何工作及其影响所做工作的开始。基因组研究并非冲刺,它是一场需要长期持续付出以获取最大成功的马拉松。”; b& R; [; W$ B$ n
        他提醒说,基因并非在真空中运转,其他重要因素也在影响人类患一些最常见疾病的风险。这些因素包括抽烟、饮食、锻炼以及暴露于污染的环境。因此,“除非作为人类的我们极大地改变我们的生活方式和环境,否则我看不到一个所有常见疾病能完全预防或消除的将来”。
5 d- F7 e4 k5 i* J        在人类基因组计划实施过程中,是为基因组申请专利还是免费开放数据库等成果,两种观点曾经尖锐对立。柯林斯当初支持并且至今仍坚定捍卫后一种观点。他认为,免费开放数据库“是人类基因组计划留下的最有意义的财富,这一财富给我带来了这样一个希望——全球研究团体将利用这一无主宝藏找到对抗疾病的创新方式”。+ S* `! Y% R" e* E2 C
       柯林斯认为,测序技术应用主要面临两大挑战,其一是降低脱氧核糖核酸测序的成本。过去10年中,科学界已在这一领域取得了重大进步。首个人类基因组测序的成本大约为30亿美元。如今,为一个基因组测序的成本约为9500美元。他期待,今后4至5年,成本能降到1000美元或以下。
+ Q5 h) o0 }$ R8 k3 m6 d8 S) i        第二个也是更大的挑战是探索一种可行方式,以分析基因组测序带来的海量数据并使成果造福患者。他说:“如果生物学、医学、统计学以及计算机科学界最优秀的人才能齐心协力,我们也能克服这一挑战。”4 d9 n7 `* @) ]) n  m+ L! B  t- r
        柯林斯表示,他对人类基因组计划实现其潜力“有信心”,因为(基因组研究遵循的)技术第一定律表明,对一个真正的变革性发现而言,其直接效果总被高估,而其长期效果总被低估,“我们从人类基因组测序所了解的,完全证明了定律的正确性”。
6 O3 L$ p9 f$ w' i4 E* \% j, o4 L来源:新华网

积分
威望
包包

藤椅
发表于 2010-7-8 17:00 |只看该作者
Ten years ago on Saturday, Francis Collins and Craig Venter walked onto the White House lawn with Bill Clinton, to announce the completion of the first draft of the human genome. I had the opportunity to sit down this week with Dr Collins, who's been visiting the UK ahead of the anniversary, and my interview with him appears in the paper today.
+ X% H7 O) z8 f. H+ }0 g( u        My piece has focused on Collins's prediction that most of us, at least in the developed world, will probably have had our complete genetic codes sequenced by the time the reference genome is 20 years old. But we spoke about much more than that, and I've included some of the highlights of our conversation here.
- i' L- o* A2 L! s          Perhaps of greatest current interest, given the FDA's current clampdown on direct-to-consumer genomics companies, were his thoughts on how this fledgling industry should properly be regulated. He accepts that there is a case for some regulation, which should focus on risk and accurate test results. But he is very wary of over-zealous regulation that might stifle innovation, or unreasonably restrict individuals' access to the contents of their DNA. And he doesn't think such access needs always to be mediated by a doctor.4 |. J  a6 f$ J- }: y+ g

% V( ^+ B7 b8 [# J/ }     The direct quotes follow after the jump...
1 L' t9 a" o5 E0 P, h
1 e+ [" O7 s( _/ a) |& EOn regulation- M% ]! k- P# l$ |  C+ i9 N, E' z

0 U% o, T9 f, d( c$ w     I started by asking Collins what he thought of FDA's intervention on DTC genomics. He said: "The FDA is being fairly reasonable about their approach, in the sense that I think they are sensitive in not wanting to shut down a set of scientific advances that are potentially going to become a valuable commercial enterprise.
1 l9 j: n1 G- g( V/ n        "I think the approach they're going to take is to focus on those kinds of test that are associated with risk, and have a risk-based oversight system rather than a knee-jerk system of 'oh, it's a genetic test, we need to review it no matter what'. That's clearly what's needed, and some groups have been arguing for that for 10 years.+ Q7 Y$ N0 C. b7 u" I
        "I do think the time has come, when you look at some of things that are out there on the web that are quite unsubstantiated scientifically, to pay some attention to that. Peggy [Hamburg, the FDA Commissioner] and Josh Sharpstein [Hamburg's deputy] are aware of the need to do this on a rational basis and not to slam the door. But I do think the public is increasingly concerned about whether this occurring in a completely unregulated way is going to be of benefit to them.
0 s$ i5 ]0 Q4 N          "I'm not sure exactly where this will go over the next year or two, or what the implications will be for access to genetic information. I am both a strong proponent of the need for quality of what's offered, but I also believe in patient empowerment, and the opportunity to find out something about themselves if they want it seems like something we should be reluctant to get in the way of, so long as the information is scientifically valid.
* m& s# A/ `% f; f1 C! G         "Regulators have a tough job. They need to be sensitive to not stifling innovation, but they also need to protect the public against really unscrupulous use of new technologies. And in that regard, by preventing the real misuse of technology, they're certainly protecting the innovators from seeing a complete meltdown and a distrust of technology that might persist for years to come./ \+ ]3 G, V  u
        "So in many ways the regulators are also the guardians of science, in the sense that they keep it from slipping into snake oil, which ultimately does a lot of damage to science. But there is a tough balance, which is one of the reasons the FDA has had such a hard time figuring out how to regulate genetic technology. I give Peggy and Josh a lot of credit for being willing to take this on and do something."5 a2 E$ I3 ^3 u* @
        Collins has himself been tested by several of the DTC genomics companies, and I asked how his experience as a consumer had influenced his thoughts on regulation:
' x5 R$ K/ h# n$ g7 S         "My own experience with this did inspire me to take some action which I probably should have taken anyway. No-one should generalise from your own personal experience to make federal policy, but there's plenty of other data to show that when individuals are given predictive information about the future, at least some of them do find that useful and do modify their health behaviours, and are able to understand that these are not yes-no black-white answers, but risk factors they might want to pay attention to, just as they pay attention to their cholesterol."  t/ t) H4 V+ n" N
      Medical supervision of DTC genetic tests
1 m4 q6 a9 S, v$ c; m5 B4 Q       Next we moved onto the sometimes vexed issue of medical supervision. Should genetic testing always be conducted in concert with a doctor or genetic counsellor? Collins said:
( \: k; \5 Y" H/ u        "That of course is one of the hot potatoes. Even within the field of medical genetics there are strong differences. The American Society of Human Genetics thinks that having a medical professional involved is not required. The American College of Medical Genetics thinks that oh yes, there are great dangers if a medical professional is not involved.
  ~. y; ~4 `6 F; ^        "I think my view is that people are in many instances capable of absorbing this educational information without the need for a professional to walk them through, but if they want that they should have access to it quite easily, and should not be hit with information without a medical professional to assist them.
) {) x) J) i3 @3 W* e  B( H+ Y        "I've been impressed by the way in which the direct-to-consumer companies have worked pretty hard at this, in terms of providing information and what it does and doesn't mean. But there is probably no substitute for having the opportunity to ask questions of someone who is an expert in the field after you have begun to absorb your own results, and I think people ought to have a chance to do that if they want to.
0 j& {& b' q& B0 S3 l" i. P       "I would be very uncomfortable with a system that says no, we know better than you do, you won't understand this information so we're not going to let you have it. There's something that doesn't feel right about that." ( j" c6 b! A' G( V' I8 V

7 B3 l( P3 p) H9 `Validity and utility
, d3 \2 S7 j" M; k8 h        To what extent should test be regulated for scientific validity and clinical utility? Collins said:; I. D  U! I: s% E9 e; `7 _3 L
         "A lot of this debate relates to what you call clinical utility. If you're going to have a test that's marketed to the public, it should have analytical validity, that is the lab should be able to prove that they can do a DNA test and get the sequence right. And it should have clinical validity, that is the test if it says it means something, that should be clearly true. If it says your risk for this SNP goes up for diabetes, then there ought to be evidence to back that up.
: w8 V% d8 u, t# Z5 [" j* J% z        "But what about clinical utility? That's so much in the mind of the beholder. I mean you may say knowing your Alzheimer's risk from APOE has no clinical validity because you can do nothing to change your risk by changing your diet or taking drugs or doing Sudoku or whatever. But for somebody who wants to know that information for purposes of planning, and that was shown very clearly by Bob Green's REVEAL study, that is useful to them. So don't tell these people this is not clinically useful. It is clinically useful from their perspective, and we shouldn't be paternalistic about it.") _# }* t! H/ `# l0 f5 z
       So, I asked, is a light touch what's called for? Collins replied:
% _; D, o; [3 [; i& a9 u         "A light touch but a touch that is also focused on risk. For instance, if a lab is offering individuals BRCA1 testing, to individuals with a strong family history of breast cancer, with no pre-test or post-test counselling, that's a problem. If you're talking about highly penetrant conditions where the test result has high medical significance, that's probably not something you should get at Walgreens. For example.". b. F0 a  g( A7 O7 z! ?2 X

' e& m  v8 e) L- gAlso important, he said, are the interpretation services that are offered:5 P8 |  K$ p% G' V; }4 u# W
        "I gather Ozzy Osbourne has had his genome sequenced. Ozzy's probably going to need a little help figuring out what this means."
& C# w& L9 d! M) P
  a. ^3 r. T" Z% @4 pCancer genomics9 @& t5 R! T4 i
          Like many observers, Collins feels that cancer will be a standard-bearer for genomic medicine:- z+ j6 J6 v9 l, x  d9 t
         “Cancer is I think going to be right out in front here. And I think we would all expect that within the next decade every cancer identified, at least in countries that have the resources, a full enumeration of what is going wrong in that tumour, and then an ability to match that up with the available therapeutics so you are doing the best possible job of throwing smart bombs, instead of the carpet bombing of traditional chemotherapy.”% v+ C: W; }6 e( j; Y
          "The question is will that be helpful because we have a nice menu of therapies, and we'll be able to pick just one or two that are going tobe active against that patient's malignancy. We have a lot of work to do. ! g2 ^, T) D/ t5 ?; T! m6 ?( `
         "Could I tell you that in ten years most patients will have both a complete genomic analysis and a choice of compounds that should be clinically active? I don't know, I would hope we will be pretty close to that, and certainly well beyond the menu we have now of targeted therapeutics, which is still a pretty short list. It's going to grow."/ @, m9 D2 N6 N' M$ [# \1 H

3 J, h& @- k6 W5 cPharmacogenomics as a driver of widespread sequencing! k6 Y. d1 Y" j6 e; a
        Collins was clear that he thought the potential of pharmacogenomics would be the main driver of widespread sequencing.
$ p; L, o; l* g$ [9 Q       "I think it's another great payoff over the fairly near future, and certainly over the next decade. 10 per cent of FDA approved drugs have a label saying something about genetics and its ability to predict a side effect, or something about whether that person is going to respond or have a dose adjustment.
7 w" k  x* q7 V, S/ C0 R/ G          "The problem with pharmacogenomics now, in terms of real mainstream application, is in a certain way logistic. We already know enough variations that could be used in dose adjustments, in terms of the CYP genes, but most of the time the physician doesn't know that much about the science anyway, and there's the problem of sending off the drug sample know, and where do I send it to, and I want the sample now. But, how's it going to change?* k  h/ E( E6 p+ N8 V) c" ?" V$ x
         "Well, when the sequencing of your genome or mine really does drop into the affordable range of less than 1,000 dollars, it will become very compelling for pharmacogenomics in particular to do it just once, to do it right, to get it into the medical record. There would be no need to take more blood samples, it’s just a click of your mouse to know whether that drug dose ought to be adjusted, or whether there’s a risk of a nasty side-effect you want to avoid. That will be a moment when a lot of the barriers to pharmacogenomics go down."
0 g3 o* k$ R; U6 U7 ?: \' s* I           "When you see the cost of sequencing dropping much faster than Moore's law for computers, we're now down to about $10,000 for a reasonably complete sequence. I can't believe it won't drop to less than 1000 within five years. Will that become the moment then, where at least to people in some kinds of health plans, when it becomes compelling to do it? Good heavens, we spend a lot more than that on all sorts of unnecessary scans.
# r4 D6 }( J% ^           "Why not just make the case for each of us that this is information that will only gain in value over time, and if it's possible to do it accurately it would be cost-effective, both in terms of prevention and pharmacogenomics and so on? I think that will get pretty compelling.5 t- x$ [! @8 R$ K. s4 U
           "What will the timetable be from when it's possible to when it actually happens? That's the key question. A lot will depend on reimbursement and who's going to pay for it? Will third parties see it as a key investment? Where's the capacity going to come from to do all these genomes? Will we have that kind of throughput abilities? I don't know.6 W& Y' G# G5 u9 k7 I3 u7 i; v8 x  q6 R
          "But certainly within ten years I will be very surprised and very disappointed if most people in the developed world will not have their genomes sequenced as part of their medical record, and I would hope it will come even sooner."
6 l  K2 B+ D4 n" Q
; s6 _. w3 d  \! o, X7 cComplex disease and the missing heritability
  W* d. g) u* {' \7 c# K7 L         How confident, I asked, was Collins that the "missing heritability" of complex, common diseases would be unlocked over the coming years? He said:# r7 R: K0 r& T
         "Nobody knew what the structure would be of genetic variation that contributes to heritability until we started to look for it. But there's certainly a lot more there hiding in the dark matter of the genome. Presumably, that will start to come to light as we are able to look for less common variants with sequencing of lots and lots of genomes from lots and lots of studies. I'm not despondent about that at all. It's just that the structure is not what we thought it might be.4 L* v. h- k* j2 T& a
           "It doesn't seem we were wrong about heritability and its contribution to diabetes and heart disease, all of those common diseases, it looks as if heritability is about 50 per cent, which means it's somewhere in there. We just need a finer lens to discover it. That probably means that within the next decade, our ability to make finer predictions about disease risk are going to get pretty good. Then it will be I think increasingly compelling to use programmes for prevention. It's something you can do right now, so long as you're aware you're not dealing with all the information that's lurking in the genome."6 l8 h" V7 s' T* [) Q& s' V

6 R& Z' x2 t8 m1 ASequencing children
  ^1 ]% m& }7 s' {; r! b. g         In April, I broke the story that the children of the Solexa entrepreneur John West, Anne and Paul, had become the first minors to be sequenced for non medical reasons. I asked Collins how he felt about that:) i& W* u1 _5 W" e
          "Frankly, that one did make me a little bit uneasy, because here were two kids who were promoting the idea that they were glad to have this, but you have to wonder how could they say otherwise when their dad was the company founder. There are statements out there in the literature, that genetic data on minors should not be obtained unless the data needs to be known, but those may start to look a little dated.5 [1 s( |8 K8 o& S+ X6 n
       "This leads us to the question about newborn screening, because we do after all already determine a fair amount of genetic information about every newborn. Newborn screening is recommended in the US for 29 diseases. The time will come when it's cheaper to do that by sequencing than by 29 different tests, and at that point wouldn't it make more sense just to do it, and then to have a plan to release that information in a graded fashion as it becomes actionable. I do think we need to preserve the right not to know. That's a substantial component of our resonsibilities. If every newborn is being sequenced, those newborns should have the opportunity to say at 18: 'the rest of that sequence, forget about it.'"

积分
威望
包包

优秀版主

板凳
发表于 2010-7-8 18:22 |只看该作者
干细胞之家微信公众号
have a look
‹ 上一主题|下一主题
你需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册
验证问答 换一个

Archiver|干细胞之家 ( 吉ICP备2021004615号-3 )