积分
威望
包包

积极份子 热心会员 帅哥研究员 优秀会员 小小研究员

楼主
发表于 2010-11-30 10:56 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
本帖最后由 细胞海洋 于 2010-11-30 12:27 编辑
/ v5 u  J7 i! ]- V% f  G# {( B. F' R) N

" ^2 m, X+ H/ A+ |1 ODevelopmental Genetics, or What Can Genetics and Genomics Tell Us About Evolution, Development, Stem Cells, Human Birth Defects, and Disease?5 q. V" V9 l# q2 W3 }/ @& S( o
  x% o/ M& R. F
The ability of researchers to answer experimental questions greatly depends
% y% }% s9 V$ N1 Ion the available technologies. New technologies lead to novel observations
! H/ L6 R! x# c; @+ P4 Band field-changing discoveries and influence the types of questions that can% V  K" d0 i. I0 B. I
be asked. Today’s recently available technologies include sequencing and analyzing5 y% Y5 c* `/ }! H4 F8 O7 l
the genomes of human and model organisms, genome-wide expression1 h% V0 \# q8 y7 w' B+ {
profiling, and high-throughput genomic and genetic analyses. The information
0 Z* ~$ @. H" ~7 `; r4 k* wprovided by these approaches is enabling us to begin to understand the
- m6 w$ R3 f) S( mcomplexity of many biological processes through the elucidation of gene regulatory
3 z* F3 t8 k, |$ [" p, H: Unetworks, signaling pathway networks, and epigenetic modifications.  g; C$ b/ {4 O: R
This book describes many lines of research that are being impacting by these6 |* \; j9 o# ]
new technologies, including developmental genetics and the related fields of
2 W0 R4 S0 c; `clinical genetics, birth defects research, stem cell biology, regenerative medicine,
9 J! J/ h" C2 P5 I- Dand evolutionary biology.2 u, r# Z  t4 I! K8 m
The field of developmental genetics, or the study of how genes influence, {& {& z4 P. ~0 z
the developmental processes of an organism, has been influenced by new technologies
8 r- W  R) @$ p; s, I& S: eand by interactions with other fields of study throughout its history., v4 r, C' o% d( v! u
The concept of a genetic basis of development began in “modern” times at the
8 G3 j0 p) r) A& G( G: ?8 Zintersection of descriptive embryology and cytology. Modern histological
. N% X9 j6 u6 O9 h3 v8 c6 _techniques were developed in the mid-19th century, largely by Wilhelm His
* r0 c7 i$ O& F( ~so that he could study cell division in the neural tube, which enabled visualization
2 \5 z) f: ?8 wof the cell nucleus, chromosomes, and the discrete steps of mitosis.; J% [/ {& a0 W( F" V! W. {
Theodor Boveri cleverly applied these improved microscopic techniques to4 c) X/ P9 S5 s- {
transparent marine embryos to demonstrate that each parent contributes( c" m  l" W* y, l
equivalent groups of chromosomes to the zygote, and that each chromosome
( m1 i3 _5 Z5 f1 {8 r6 X8 C4 wis an independently inherited unit. Importantly, he noted that if an embryo+ i& f( v, Y1 r( {# T
contains the incorrect number or improper combination of chromosomes, it
, o) J$ u- M1 i2 X+ l( i7 V0 X" }develops abnormally.3 R& p3 x. y3 J  p" h' `# X3 _. U
However, many early embryologists rejected the idea that development is
* a9 d+ ~" G. Y( ?* O5 ^driven by prepackaged heritable particles because it seemed too similar to the' U6 B6 b! ~% R" z4 f
idea of “preformation”: the concept that development is driven by predetermined& j0 a$ @1 t, R1 ]: K
factors or “forces” (sometimes described in rather mystical terms).) h9 I! y! |% w& w) X8 p
Wilhelm Roux, an advocate of studying the embryo from a mechanistic point
8 X7 R( e; t6 Z/ kof view, was a leader in the approach of manipulating the embryo with microsurgical
  ]: W, ]' ]2 ?% e( q% G, y4 Gtechniques to elucidate cause and effects between component parts
; r+ T- D1 R( v* ]1 f" g1 z7 C(experimental embryology). By using an animal model whose embryos were# B1 w) t3 V2 h% N3 |# h) V% i
large, developed external to the mother, could be surgically manipulated with
7 C# v$ i$ x% f* ?& ]* Wsharpened forceps and cultured in simple salt media (i.e., amphibians), he9 a! z" g! h' I8 J: p
rejected the role of predetermined factors and demonstrated the importance
0 r! ~: U8 w7 l4 I8 mof external (epigenetic) influences and cell–cell interactions in regulating
) ^! `7 v" Q4 O3 U! L5 f! C1 e5 idevelopmental programs. Experimental embryologists further refined their
# |5 R# W6 U! p  f! Zskills at dissecting small bits of tissue from the embryo, recombining them. H9 x8 j; A7 @- h2 h! `5 ^. z
with other tissues in culture or transplanting them to ectopic regions in the
& ^2 Y9 j: N  r6 L0 [7 Uembryo. This work led to the invention of tissue culture by Ross Harrison2 h( v: u, A% d6 b7 d
and the discovery of tissue inductions by Hans Spemann./ _, P. h3 u/ G9 L( y
While experimental embryology was thriving, T. H. Morgan founded the  y" t" d$ N8 m9 Q7 I  R5 q  R
field of Drosophila genetics. Also trained as an embryologist, Morgan was5 I  ^+ ?# \0 g3 n; A5 y
skeptical of Boveri’s idea of heritable packets, and directed his studies towards
4 D; I! x( @1 L7 q6 I  qunderstanding the principles of inheritance. For several decades, the two fields2 }) H7 k& b1 e- L/ P& X
had little impact on one another. Interestingly, however, after a few decades of, v  O2 h2 a, x2 l$ }
study of the fruit fly, Morgan’s work supported the idea of discrete intracellular
& I, j6 V' F, Q  o0 F; Iparticles that directed heritable traits, which he named “genes.” Nonetheless,
) }: T  b3 l) X% T: ithe fields of experimental embryology and genetics remained fairly
% |; e9 D) I& o6 ]2 x7 ?4 Q/ Hseparate entities with distinct goals and points of view. Embryologists were" l3 E* F: F1 o
elucidating the interactions that are important for the development of numerous
0 Q; z. n, ~( ~6 k7 f4 w  Rtissues and organs, whereas geneticists were focused on the fundamentals
1 ]" R0 P: j8 e1 x$ vof gene inheritance, regulation of expression, and discovering the genetic
( x% z4 k9 {+ q( v7 d- acode. Indeed, elucidating the genetic basis of vertebrate development was6 X  \: |( m- ?' o) ~) R
delayed until new technologies in molecular biology and cloning were devised.$ `; C( R: N- j; A
From the field of bacterial and viral genetics came the techniques for cloning9 i9 S9 B' e9 T
eukaryotic genes and constructing vectors for controlling expression. From; p( J" t4 i  b1 n/ x$ p* `
the classical genetic studies in fly and nematode came the rationale for mutagenizing3 l4 Y* i, f" H" J1 q% J
the entire genome and screening for developmental abnormalities.
. {" \0 E" D: ?Important regulatory genes were discovered in these invertebrates, and their
8 F) S2 A- x4 y, {: x0 K% @counterparts were discovered in many other animals by homology cloning4 q6 B3 ?* Y3 f7 j8 }& T' D
approaches. Thus was born the modern field that we call developmental
3 Q9 `7 }: o! p' R- [genetics.
8 u2 H; q# F$ j) iAn important advance in the past decade is the demonstration that genes
! f9 G# O0 _0 q8 W- cthat regulate developmental processes in invertebrate species have important
7 x8 \# x+ q7 f- z8 o7 A  a# Cdevelopmental functions in vertebrates. The wealth of information concerning7 L, D! Z  U0 _" M$ B
the molecular genetic processes that regulate development in various animals
9 o' |( c. H  O6 z) Gdemonstrates that developmental programs and biological processes are highly* ]1 O% z8 _+ A$ T& t3 D( s
conserved, albeit not identical, from yeast to human. Indeed, the Human
' p, q' b2 V6 I5 z! H: b  PGenome Project has made it possible to identify the homologues in humans
! z' c$ u1 a% h+ T: |* D0 a/ eand demonstrate that many of these regulatory genes underlie human developmental
+ V) e* S3 x8 T" }- Fdisorders and aspects of adult diseases in which differentiation processes
; x3 }( X" B/ ?# N! Ugo awry. Currently, researchers are studying the fundamentals of
! v9 W2 O2 r- ~( K2 C% x4 V: N' w% Fdevelopmental processes in the appropriate animal model and screening
* V0 E# T9 Y5 I! N! k$ f7 T1 Fhumans for mutations in the genes identified by the basic research to be likely
- p3 m5 B8 a+ q, F3 zcausative candidates. Researchers are mutagenizing vertebrate animal models
: h  d, S! ^, {" eand screening for mutants that resemble known human syndromes. This, E% x; I$ s* r; {
cross-fertilization of fields is also impacting concepts in evolutionary biology,
1 O! `4 a  Z3 X9 K+ n8 z8 y' Kxii PREFACE( x) f5 O% M% G" l+ z1 U
leading to a better understanding of “ancestral” species via gene expression
0 `1 S0 [& Y( t# K' i: R5 G) k4 lprofiles, and paradigms in stem cell biology in which naı¨ve cells may be directed
9 L) P8 S4 a# l! I) j+ Gto “designer” lineages.; u( N7 a' q* O" U
Most recently, there have been significant technological advances in2 g6 U/ [, g$ S: k! ?
genetic, genomic, and protein expression analyses that are having a major' j' B9 _# H: _6 P
impact on experimental approaches and analytic design. The intersection of5 e3 H, ^& J! L  T# S3 |' t, E! k; ^
developmental biology with these technologies offers a new view of developmental
6 s4 y1 B! G* k0 X" I4 E" ]genetics that is only beginning to be exploited. It is this new intersection8 Z' e9 R4 e  ]9 m- [' z
at the onset of the genomic era that is the focus of this book. The book is
. Q- t( P/ D; }- Jorganized into sections focused on different aspects of developmental genetics.8 g, ]; e$ ^$ R. {' }% e
Section I discusses the impact of new genetic and genomic technologies on0 H! p2 F2 X% e5 _
development, stem cell biology, evolutionary biology, and understanding
8 N. `' U2 C4 n+ m% Y  ~0 a6 Xhuman birth defects. Section II discusses several major events in early embryogenesis,5 Q( @! e( Q4 Z0 {/ u: `
fate determination, and patterning, including cellular determinants
* k/ ?+ w/ Y- F$ W9 P% r1 @5 a(Boveri revisited?), gene cascades regulating embryonic axis formation, signaling
' Y7 G& @" E. v9 s( xmolecules and transcription factors that regulate pattern formation, and
$ `/ ]( d9 ?6 A) gthe induction of the primary germ layers (ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm).6 _: a- `; T% w( h
Section III describes the reorganization of the embryo via different, I8 Y  X( S0 M+ [8 T# x4 |
types of morphogenetic and cellular movements that result in the foundation* {9 ]$ j0 H/ W1 }' D
of organ systems, and discusses the many signaling and adhesion molecules. a4 C/ E4 B$ k8 V; k2 |5 d1 M
that are involved in regulating these complex processes. The final three sections; @8 u; J  O* K+ X' W6 o; B6 d
focus on the signaling cascades and transcriptional pathways that regulate
% ]9 Y3 Z: A  O0 n/ |organogenesis in representative systems derived from the embryonic
# e! d' g3 K2 Z, C0 l9 Iectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm. These chapters illustrate how embryonic: U7 h1 V1 K; U) y
rudiments become organized into adult tissues, and how defects in these processes  x9 U8 X8 C( r1 ]1 i
can result in congenital defects or disease. Each chapter demonstrates, `" V. R* q( p
the usefulness of studying model organisms and discusses how this information
& F# y& H. x0 d; G' o. X) aapplies to normal human development and clinical disorders. Several; P4 Z3 [$ k5 o1 p1 M5 W, n
chapters also discuss the utility of stem cells to repair damaged organs and3 s1 h9 t; e; Z7 H
the application of developmental genetics to the manipulation of stem cells/ z: n7 w- o) I
for regenerative medicine.( j" E, C5 X' E+ ~# k; I5 i, l
The goal of this book is to provide a resource for understanding the critical
, R: K  [- V9 E# p2 ^! K$ Rembryonic and prenatal developmental processes that are fundamental to
: _, d* Y% g3 [3 N* Tthe normal development of animals, including humans. It highlights new
; ^% P) n6 f4 ztechnologies to be used, new questions to be answered, and the important- j/ s% `6 I8 f) C
roles that invertebrate and vertebrate animal models have had in elucidating
; i3 z6 ]2 ]2 F' ~9 X8 b" h8 J6 cthe genetic basis of human development. Developmental genetics has reemerged5 b( ^% d8 e4 R5 G. S+ g7 D
from its birth a century ago as a nexus of diverse fields that are using% N. L9 h3 ?0 v0 H! E+ J
the common language of gene sequence and function. This is influencing
( E) |( o% N! lwhat questions are posed and how the answers are used. New technologies0 v5 v& [+ p' ]/ S% Y
are making it relatively easy to study gene expression and regulation at single
/ G1 p- i8 q" W1 ~cell, tissue, and embryonic levels. The conservation between the genomes
2 g0 y9 ^& q$ _8 eof species that are separated by vast evolutionary time encourages us to
+ Q! z6 W3 M; T2 b" w+ s! Mmore fully utilize animal models to gain important insights into the clinical
. f0 Z1 d9 n6 [( _4 j1 brelevance of the animal model data. It is our hope that this book will stimulate
; q: k/ G" [: M$ j. X7 ~' meven more cross-fertilization and interactions between evolutionary biology,
& Q+ S- P0 r9 ^% l% Z$ N* a+ udevelopmental biology, stem cell biology, basic scientists, and clinical- m" P8 M% \/ H8 B
scientists.
% \, O, `4 m5 L! F2 H: wI wish to thank all of the authors for contributing such exciting and3 u$ Z% r- R" |: c$ j4 \
excellent chapters, and Pat Gonzalez for keeping all of us on schedule., t# B2 f# m! [) S5 D
3 p! g9 ]1 }2 v2 ?
游客,如果你要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 5 + 20 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 5  包包 + 20   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包

优秀版主 帅哥研究员 积极份子 小小研究员 金话筒

沙发
发表于 2010-11-30 14:45 |只看该作者