干细胞之家 - 中国干细胞行业门户第一站

搜索
朗日生物

免疫细胞治疗专区

欢迎关注干细胞微信公众号

查看: 371966|回复: 240
go

Identification of Candidate Murine Esophageal Stem Cells Using a Combination of [复制链接]

积分
威望
包包
楼主
发表于 2009-3-5 00:59 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
作者:Daniel Croagha, Wayne A. Phillipsa,b, Rick Redversc, Robert J.S. Thomasa,b, Pritinder Kaurc作者单位:aSurgical Oncology Laboratory, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia;bUniversity of Melbourne Department of Surgery, St. Vincent
$ |" X0 y+ g. P$ @0 j7 _! h                  
3 g9 u: E2 B' T                  ( K4 \) V4 Z: s# I3 k: h

4 Q1 a  W4 _7 ]# H- i/ g4 }4 @                         + R* w* i. h& J7 N/ V8 q

* N/ r5 _  O7 x* @0 u5 ?6 x            % a5 B$ H" x8 A2 I+ ?$ h/ E

+ A& U) L' a( k! {: J, N            + S5 T) a9 ~: r+ |1 j
                      , C' Q' ]- _0 S) k$ O% t; ~7 T0 C) a

$ V6 _% f- \' P( T) Z        4 S( \$ U* P% w; ^2 P
          u" V) i# V) w' W5 h( h# E( ]
          【摘要】
9 i7 G% ]/ I9 ?. T, S      The identification and characterization of esophageal stem cells are critical to our understanding of the biology of the esophageal epithelium in health and disease. However, the proliferative compartment within the mouse esophageal epithelium remains poorly characterized. Here, we report that the basal cells of the mouse esophagus can be separated into three phenotypically and functionally distinct subpopulations based on the expression of 6 integrin and transferrin receptor (CD71). Cells that express high levels of 6 integrin and low levels of CD71, termed 6briCD71dim, are a minor subpopulation of small and undifferentiated cells that are enriched for label-retaining cells and thus represent a putative esophageal stem cell population. Conversely, cells expressing high levels of both 6 integrin and CD71 (6briCD71bri), the majority of basal esophageal cells, are enriched for actively cycling cells and therefore represent a transit-amplifying population. Kinetic analyses revealed that a third cell population, which is 6 integrin-dim and CD71-bright (6dim), is destined to leave the basal layer and differentiate.
8 E/ s" {0 D" a          【关键词】 Esophagus Stem cells Transferrin receptor Integrin Keratinocyte Epithelial cell* c0 X4 V: b5 G' G" w
                  INTRODUCTION
' u. V$ S" x! V
) ]! M" {. ^" [4 `% [In recent years, much attention has been devoted to resolving different classes of proliferative cells, particularly stem cells in a variety of mammalian tissues. Continuously renewing tissues like the hemopoietic system, the intestinal epithelium, and stratified epithelia are organized in a hierarchical fashion with the undifferentiated, quiescent, long-lived, multipotent, and self-renewing stem cells at one end of the hierarchy and fully mature, terminally differentiated cells at the other .
3 V: y9 m3 T' X
/ J5 d. ~$ _  E# o' x+ Q! r% b; e8 V6 m: hIt is well-accepted that tissue renewal in the hemopoietic system and the skin is achieved through the combined proliferative activity of a minor population of stem cells and a large pool of actively dividing, short-lived, transit-amplifying cells and that these populations can be discerned by cell kinetic analyses and/or cell surface markers . However, little work has been done on the esophageal epithelium despite the clinical importance of this tissue." A+ h# w4 ~" P- u
8 k# _5 t: }5 _
The epithelia of the mouse and rat esophagus can be divided into two compartments, the basal layer composed of densely packed columnar cells and the superficial spinous and granular cell layers composed of large polyhedral and flattened keratinizing cells, respectively. Tritiated thymidine-labeling studies revealed that all cells in the basal layer, and only cells in the basal layer, are capable of undergoing cell division . Given the structural similarity between interfollicular epidermis and esophagus, we have investigated the usefulness of these markers in fractionating murine basal esophageal cells into primitive stem cells and their more committed progeny. We initially sought to distinguish esophageal cells using in vivo cell turnover studies and then endeavored to confirm these differences using in vitro, and tissue-reconstitution, assays.
# R; r& G1 y+ m' _. i/ V6 W2 {3 U4 g
MATERIALS AND METHODS* i3 G* N. a: o" ~9 B$ ?
. k" P2 k( ~# M8 o! C
Isolation of Primary Murine Esophageal Keratinocytes# V, G. g$ D; Z$ m

6 i; J) z/ [2 S# j2 d( `To obtain esophageal keratinocytes, female C57/B6 mice, 7¨C10 weeks of age, were culled at 6:00 p.m. (unless otherwise indicated), and the esophagi were removed and incubated in dispase II (6 mg/ml; Roche Diagnostics Australia Pty. Ltd., Castle Hill, Australia, http://www.rochediagnostics.com.au) in phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) with 12 µg/ml penicillin, 160 µg/ml gentamicin, and 0.6 µg/ml fluconazole for 6¨C16 hours at 4¡ãC. The mucosa was then removed with sterile forceps and incubated in 5 ml of prewarmed (37¡ãC) trypsin (2.5 mg/ml in PBS; Sigma-Aldrich, St. Louis, http://www.sigmaaldrich.com) for 4 minutes with agitation on a magnetic stirrer with a sterile stir bar. The trypsin was then quenched with 200 µg/ml soybean trypsin inhibitor (Sigma-Aldrich), and the suspension was passed through a 40-µm cell strainer (Becton, Dickinson and Company, Franklin Lakes, NJ, http://www.bd.com). Cells were centrifuged and resuspended in keratinocyte basal medium (KBM) (Cambrex Bio Science Walkersville, Inc., Walkersville, MD, http://www.cambrex.com) with 20 mg/ml bovine serum albumin (BSA) (Sigma-Aldrich) in PBS. A small proportion of the cells were found to be CD45-positive (0.34% ¡À 0.05%, mean ¡À SEM; n = 7) by fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) analysis, and these were gated out in all subsequent experiments. The remaining cells stained positive for keratin-14 , confirming their epithelial origin.( b5 w9 t4 O) H: o% w' e) [
3 v4 w  R1 e) q) z) F! }1 S
Analysis of Cell Surface Markers
, f  R) `* \4 [" p" C( \2 I6 |: O: m' H- v1 x
Freshly isolated primary murine esophageal keratinocytes (1 x 107 cells per milliliter) were stained with 6-fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC) (GoH3, 1:100; Becton, Dickinson and Company) and CD71-phycoerythrin (CD71-PE) (C2; 2 µg/ml; Becton, Dickinson and Company) for 30 minutes on ice, washed once, and resuspended at 1 x 107 cells per milliliter in KBM containing 20 mg/ml BSA. Cells were either analyzed on a Becton Dickinson LSRII flow cytometer or sorted using a Becton Dickinson FACSDiva (see supplemental online data for FACS setup). Nonviable cells were excluded using 1 µg/ml viability dye, either 7-amino-actinomycin D or fluorogold (both from Invitrogen Corporation, Carlsbad, CA, http://www.invitrogen.com), and CD45-PE-CY7 (30-F11, 0.4 µg/ml; Becton, Dickinson and Company) was used to exclude CD45-positive cells. Isotype-matched negative controls and single-color controls were included with each experiment.
0 L! Y/ s0 F# B. T. w& t5 v
7 A! R$ I9 `# }4 Z' ^' h( QBromodeoxyuridine Labeling and Cell Cycle Analysis6 M8 I7 O7 t6 J) V6 d
5 z# h1 Y$ q: K7 ]* o& b+ }# Q
C57/B6 mice (7¨C9 weeks old) were pulse-labeled by a single injection of 100 µg/kg bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU) at 6:00 a.m. At the indicated times after labeling, mice were sacrificed and the esophageal keratinocytes were isolated, sorted based on 6, CD71, and CD45 expression, and fixed in 70% (vol/vol) ethanol. The cells were then washed with PBS and incubated in 10 mg/ml BSA for 1¨C2 hours. DNA hydrolysis was performed by incubating the cells in 2 M HCl at room temperature for 30 minutes followed by neutralization of the acid with 0.1 M sodium tetraborate (Sigma-Aldrich). The cells were then washed once in PBS and stained with anti-BrdU (B44; 1:100, 25¡ãC, 30 minutes; Becton, Dickinson and Company) and detected with goat anti-mouse immunoglobulin G (IgG)-Alexa Fluor 647 (1 µg/ml; Invitrogen Corporation). DNA was stained using 2 µg/ml 4',6-diamidino-2-phenylindole (Sigma-Aldrich) so as to simultaneously determine cell cycle status and BrdU incorporation using an LSRII analyzer. Esophageal cells from animals that had not been injected with BrdU were used as controls.4 ~6 ~- I8 w( r

' x2 k7 @- y- i" d# jFor label-retention studies, groups of mice were injected intraperintoneally with BrdU (100 µg/kg) daily for 7 days, and labeled cells were visualized in tissue sections using a BrdU In Situ Detection Kit (Becton, Dickinson and Company) and a Tyramide Signal Amplification Kit (PerkinElmer Life and Analytical Sciences, Boston, http://www.perkinelmer.com). At various times (1¨C200 hours) after labeling, individual mice were sacrificed, esophageal keratinocytes were isolated, and the loss of BrdU from sorted cell populations was assessed by flow cytometric analysis using anti-BrdU. Overton histogram subtraction was used to establish the percentage of BrdU-positive cells in experimental versus unlabeled control animals.
* Q* x) b1 h2 N% l
1 E% c$ \. z: L0 n$ J, RLimiting Dilution Assay* h& z  O2 t  n7 g; C6 t" B& l

. k- M' c5 u" h6 i( ]% M& QMouse esophageal epithelial cells were sorted directly into 96-well plates coated with 20 µg/ml collagen IV (Sigma-Aldrich) using single-cell mode and doublet discrimination on the FACSDiva. They were plated at 3, 10, and 30 cells per well in replicates of 24 or 48 (except for the CD71    population, which was plated at 30, 100, and 300 cells per well). The plates were centrifuged at 200g for 5 minutes to encourage cell adherence. Cells were then cultured in KBM supplemented with 5 µg/ml insulin (Sigma-Aldrich), 0.5 µg/ml hydrocortisone (Sigma-Aldrich), 70 µg/ml bovine pituitary extract (Hammond Cell Tech, Windsor, CA, https://secure2.wahju.com/hammond), 10 ng/ml epidermal growth factor (Sigma-Aldrich), 2 mg/ml BSA, 100 ng/ml cholera toxin (Sigma-Aldrich), 5 µg/ml transferrin (Sigma-Aldrich), 20 pM triiodothyronine (Sigma-Aldrich), 2.4 µg/ml penicillin, 32 µg/ml gentamicin, and 0.6 µg/ml fluconazole for 7 days at 37¡ãC, 5% CO2. The plates were then washed, fixed with 5% (vol/vol) formalin, and stained with toluidine blue. Wells were scored as positive when there was at least one colony with at least 32 cells. According to Poisson distribution, at a limiting dilution of one colony, 37% of the wells are expected to be negative. Extrapolation of the 37% negative point on the y-axis intersects the x-axis at the number of cells required to produce a colony .
4 W- @! W" \  M6 b, T0 x2 b7 _
; b  C! ]( @$ n$ P5 t9 h0 N- }In Vivo Tissue Reconstitution
: O% Z# H7 ^) s$ \( i& @
% v5 |9 A9 P! X3 D) ?3 l) @1 YThe ability of the cell populations to regenerate a stratified epithelium was assessed using an in vivo transplant model as described previously , and stained with hematoxylin and eosin.- K, b+ o5 s( u3 q" z! o$ B
1 j/ L9 C7 |' g/ S* Q4 h7 m+ p6 e
Immunofluorescence Staining
- _' Y' Y4 \- ]6 e7 ~( I
, o  m. O, w- v  g# PCryostat sections of mouse esophagus were fixed in acetone for 10 minutes at ¨C20¡ãC, blocked, and stained with rat anti-mouse CD71-FITC (clone R17 217.1.4; Caltag Laboratories, South San Francisco, CA, http://www.caltag.com), 6-FITC (both at 1:100), or mouse anti-K4 (1:1,000). Sections were counterstained with propidium iodide.1 z" R: \7 j9 H$ X3 b

4 @; [) c" \3 U  x8 g1 w. G0 @# JRESULTS
$ O3 F. D! S8 q) O
/ k% H+ H6 {3 C/ WPhenotyping of Mouse Esophageal Keratinocytes: O" c! R- j8 G" f; H, U

0 n* d( c, E" E, d  w7 z/ Z' cThe 6-CD71 phenotype of primary mouse esophageal keratinocytes is shown in Figure 1. It contains four discernable populations: the 6briCD71bri population, which constitutes the majority of isolated cells (72.3% ¡À 2.1%, mean ¡À SEM; n = 7), and three smaller populations, 6briCD71dim (7.8% ¡À 1.2%), 6dimCD71bri (referred to hereafter as 6dim; 8.6% ¡À 0.9%), and CD71 very bright (CD71   ; 11.2% ¡À 2.6%).
5 ]! H; E+ R' j: w: P8 u: _: w; }& I6 i; R: f; I0 k
Figure 1. Phenotype of mouse esophageal keratinocytes. Primary mouse esophageal epithelial cells were double-labeled with anti-CD71 (phycoerythrin) and anti-6 integrin (fluorescein isothiocyanate) and analyzed by flow cytometry. The dot-plot indicating the identified subpopulations is representative of at least seven independent experiments. Abbreviations:  /71¨C, 6briCD71dim cells;  /71 , 6briCD71bri cells; ¨C/71 , 6dim cells; 71   , CD71    cells.0 j, c8 B, [% X! Y

X+ S2 U; `* W" _+ MFlow cytometry was used to investigate the basic characteristics of the cells in these populations. The 6briCD71dim cells were found to have both the lowest forward scatter (size) and low side scatter (internal complexity) (supplemental online Fig. 8A, 8B). The CD71    population contained the largest and most complex cells. This was confirmed by hematoxylin staining of these populations, which demonstrated that the CD71    population was enriched for large polyhedral cells with a high cytoplasmic-to-nuclear ratio. The other three populations all contained small round cells (supplemental online Fig. 8C). Consistent with this, flow cytometric analysis of expression of keratin-4, a known marker of differentiation in the human esophagus , revealed that increased cell size was correlated with greater differentiation, with the CD71    cells containing the highest proportion of keratin-4bri cells and the 6briCD71dim population containing the lowest level of keratin-4 (supplemental online Fig. 9).) V! Y  U+ a3 n2 m& O
, y0 p) k) e% p- W" W6 E* i
Analysis of Cell Cycle! [) C" Y% I) i" y1 N

/ Q7 P) D& Y/ z2 d7 T/ |As has been demonstrated in previous studies , we detected a strong circadian rhythm to cell proliferation in the mouse esophagus, with 16.7% ¡À 1.2% (mean ¡À SEM) of cells cycling at 6:00 a.m. compared with only 1.8% ¡À 0.4% of cells cycling at 6:00 p.m. (n = 7; p
! w& W# T( @& Y3 w. a% T" Y  f1 i# }: O7 ]
Figure 2. Analysis of BrdU-labeled esophageal keratinocytes. Mice were pulse-labeled by a single intraperitoneal injection of BrdU (100 µg/kg) at 6:00 a.m., and esophageal keratinocytes were collected after 1 hour. Bivariate flow cytometric analysis was used to simultaneously assess (A) the percentage of cells in S   G2M phase of the cell cycle via DNA content and (B) the percentage of BrdU-positive cells in 6-CD71-defined subpopulations (mean ¡À SEM; n = 7). The percentages of BrdU-positive cells in each of the 6-CD71-defined subpopulations assessed at 1, 12, 24, and 36 hours after BrdU injection are shown in (C) (mean ¡À SEM; n = 3). Dotted line connected by  indicates 6briCD71dim cells; dotted-and-dashed line connected by  indicates 6briCD71bri cells; dashed line connected by  indicates 6dimcells; unbroken line connected by  indicates CD71    cells. Abbreviations:  /71¨C, 6briCD71dim cells;  /71 , 6briCD71bri cells; ¨C/71 , 6dim cells; 71   , CD71    cells; BrdU, bromodeoxyuridine; hrs, hours.% t3 N" b* A2 o) m3 j, I
% h7 |$ r! g+ c/ n2 i* `' }
Movement of Cells Between Phenotypic Compartments; `5 d$ S$ d  m- e4 m8 J, R

' `+ k) Y0 h+ ]% l- p9 LWe pulse-labeled the DNA of cycling cells by injecting animals with a single dose of BrdU and examined the fate of the labeled cells over the next 36 hours. Twenty-four hours after the initial pulse of BrdU, there was a second wave of cell proliferation, in keeping with the circadian rhythm. Using bivariate DNA/BrdU flow cytometric analysis of the total cell population, we were able to show that of the cells in cycle (i.e., in S   G2/M) at this time most (83.5%) were BrdU-negative, indicating that they had not been cycling at the time of the pulse-labeling 24 hours earlier (supplemental online Fig. 10D). This suggests that most cells in the mouse esophagus have a cell cycle time of at least 48 hours. Consistent with this, most (85%) of the BrdU-labeled cells were found in G0/G1 at 24 hours after pulse. Thus, the total amount of BrdU label in the tissue could be expected to remain relatively constant during the 36 hours after the labeled cells have divided, and we would predict that any fluctuations in the proportion of BrdU-labeled cells within the phenotypically discrete fractions over this time period could be attributed to the movement of cells between the subpopulations. Therefore, we examined the percentage of BrdU-labeled cells in the different populations of the mouse esophageal epithelium at 12, 24, and 36 hours after labeling (Fig. 2C). At 12 hours, the percentage of BrdU-positive cells in the 6briCD71dim population approximately doubled, consistent with the cells that incorporated label having now completed traversing the G2/M phase and undergone mitosis. In contrast, the proportion of labeled cells in the 6dim population at 12 hours increased fivefold to 58.8% ¡À 0.9% (mean ¡À SEM; n = 4), suggesting that this fraction had accumulated cells that had been cycling at the time of pulse-labeling. In contrast, the percentage of BrdU-positive cells in the actively cycling 6briCD71bri population had not increased but remained essentially constant during this time. This is consistent with the net effect of both an increase in labeled cells due to mitosis and a loss due to movement of cells into the 6dim compartment.; ~7 V( h0 U* P' t% G. s3 C

2 g4 B0 i& ^" {$ M0 v6 tDuring the interval from 12 to 36 hours after the initial pulse, the percentage of labeled cells in the 6dim population decreased dramatically to 17.1% ¡À 5.2%; concomitantly, the proportion of BrdU-positive cells in the CD71    population increased from less than 10% to more than 40%. Given that the absolute number of cells in both the 6dim and the CD71    populations are approximately equivalent and that the level of label in the other two populations, 6briCD71bri and 6briCD71dim, remains essentially constant over this time period, we infer that the loss of labeled cells from the 6dim population is due to the migration of labeled cells into the CD71    population.1 w4 X: ~5 }. }

. d, k" R# v, z9 M$ _Label-Retention Studies
8 \: d  j$ i1 T( Z4 a6 A. @1 `$ T2 v1 |9 x6 h1 [* c  j2 x
Essentially complete labeling of esophageal keratinocytes was achieved by the injection of mice with BrdU daily for 7 days (supplemental online Fig. 11). The proportion of BrdU-positive cells in each population after chase periods ranging from 12 hours to 8 days was then used to establish the turnover time for each population. Using this technique, we were able to show that the 6briCD71dim population retained a greater proportion of the BrdU compared with both the 6briCD71bri and 6dim populations (Fig. 3A). Linear regression analysis demonstrates that the t1/2 (time required for 50% of the cells to become BrdU-negative) is approximately 100 hours for the 6briCD71dim population compared with approximately 75 and 70 hours for the 6briCD71bri and 6dim populations, respectively (Fig. 3B, 3C).: K- C8 W5 D" g" C* ]" ?' }& K
( B1 k/ t' H, `2 y" H
Figure 3. Assessing cell turnover by label retention. Mice were labeled by daily injections of BrdU for 7 days. (A): The percentage of BrdU-positive cells in 6-CD71-defined subpopulations of esophageal keratinocytes freshly isolated after a 5-day chase period (mean ¡À SEM; n = 5). (B, C): Plots illustrating the kinetics of label retention in mouse esophageal cells after various chase times, as indicated, comparing the 6briCD71dim cell population (, dashed lines) with (B) 6briCD71bri and (C) 6dim cell populations (, dotted and dashed lines). Data shown are derived from at least three independent mice at each time point. p 0 c: _) q$ m8 r

( X" H/ C/ ~% w/ G' e/ dAssessment of Clonogenic Potential& g6 Y( w4 O; C9 F# L. n
1 W5 b+ f: G0 M1 n& ?6 v/ P2 I+ {, y
The ability of mouse esophageal keratinocytes to form colonies in in vitro culture was assessed using a limiting dilution assay. This assay determines the proportion of cells from each phenotypic fraction that are capable of forming clonal units of proliferation under stringent conditions (i.e., at low density). Using this approach, approximately 1 in 10 cells from the 6briCD71dim, 6briCD71bri, and 6dim populations was capable of forming a colony as compared with 1 in 175 of the CD71    cells (Fig. 4).
2 M& \+ P+ B( B
( h8 A$ X+ e' _+ N( eFigure 4. Clonogenicity of 6 integrin-CD71-defined subpopulations of mouse esophageal cells. The indicated numbers of cells per well were plated, and after 7 days, wells were scored as positive if at least one colony with at least 32 cells was present. The number of cells required to produce a colony was calculated from the graph as the point at which 37% of the wells are negative (dotted lines). Limiting dilution graphs of (A) CD71    cells () compared with basal cells (all other populations) () and (B) 6briCD71dim () compared with 6briCD71bri () and 6dim () cells. Data shown are mean ¡À SEM; n = 3 for CD71    and n = 5 for all others. Abbreviations:  /71¨C, 6briCD71dim cells;  /71 , 6briCD71bri cells; ¨C/71 , 6dim cells; 71   , CD71    cells.1 {" r( z6 j( t  R, j( W+ J
/ f( q' A% A$ H/ ^7 }/ y0 M8 p: o' N
In Vivo Tissue Reconstitution7 m0 _! x' e; u* }. w3 R
4 ^' b3 t" L6 @$ P, m4 ]2 b
We characterized the tissue-reconstituting abilities of the four kinetically and phenotypically distinct populations described above using an in vivo reconstitution model . The 6briCD71dim and 6briCD71bri fractions exhibited excellent tissue regeneration with a thicker epithelium displaying the full range of differentiation seen in normal esophagus, including a polarized basal layer, granular and spinous layers, and finally a cornified layer, whereas the 6dim cells performed poorly (Fig. 5). Notably, the CD71    population was not capable of maintaining an epithelium in this experiment.
, \6 X9 w! h$ V9 @& `! i- d# ]& |& [/ L4 d; z
Figure 5. Esophageal tissue reconstitution in vivo. Transverse histological sections of rat trachea lumens lined with epithelium derived from 1 x 105 mouse esophageal cells and harvested at 5 weeks. (A): Total cells (magnification x2.5). (B): Total cells (magnification x10). (C): 6briCD71dim cells. (D): 6briCD71bri cells. (E): 6dim cells. (F): CD71    cells. Negative control tracheas not inoculated with cells do not form an epithelium (not shown). Scale bar = 100 µm. Abbreviations: c, trachea cartilage; e, epithelium; l, trachea lumen; s, submucosal layer.
2 ?5 j# y( z/ d" Y
2 K. L  T: |6 _/ H) p1 @& }4 ]In Situ Localization9 r! W9 K8 Z/ i

+ f2 f" l/ P. l; v9 D) QWe used immunofluorescence staining in an attempt to localize the 6/CD71 populations in the mouse esophageal epithelium. Bright staining for 6 integrin was seen throughout the epithelium (supplemental online Fig. 12), consistent with the flow cytometric data. In contrast, we observed differential expression of CD71 along the basal layer of the esophageal epithelium as shown in Figure 6. Notably, bright patches of CD71 staining alternated with regions of CD71dim staining within the basal layer. Interestingly, the CD71bri regions were associated with the presence of suprabasal cells exhibiting even brighter CD71 staining.
4 u1 Z3 j! V' w5 v) E$ i6 b: M+ k. x$ |& s
Figure 6. In vivo localization of CD71 in the murine esophageal epithelium. Immunofluorescence images of a cross-section of mouse esophagus stained with anti-CD71-fluorescein isothiocyanate (green) and counterstained with propidium iodide (red) to identify nuclei. (A): Low-magnification image. (B): High-magnification image. Scale bar = 100 µm.# K. O5 f* z& x9 b, O

6 I. n' w& a; ]- [; i/ P% n* m# y. YDISCUSSION% b  u  y7 p) h* V0 o5 q
0 n" ~  L9 ~/ T; Y; p
The mouse esophageal epithelium can be divided into two compartments: a superficial stratified layer consisting of large, differentiated, and keratinising squamous cells and a basal layer composed of densely packed columnar cells. By analogy with other stratified epithelia, the stem cells responsible for maintaining the esophageal epithelium are thought to reside in the basal layer. Previous work has suggested that all basal cells in the mouse esophagus are equivalent with respect to the probability of undergoing cell division and leaving the basement membrane; indeed, it has been suggested that all basal cells are effectively stem cells , implying that esophageal renewal originates from single stem cells at the apex of a proliferative hierarchy within the basal layer.; V3 s+ R% a  M7 |1 O+ e
% u: Z+ [8 P/ A3 c8 u
We have previously used the cell surface markers 6 and CD71 to identify putative stem cells in the mouse epidermis . We now show that these markers can identify distinct cell populations in the mouse esophageal epithelium and have been able to elucidate a kinetic and functional hierarchy.# p" {# b9 a; }- q) O4 d

; q) z# F& i  S# W; z1 m8 L: ~/ zThe CD71    Population Is Enriched for Differentiated, Suprabasal Cells2 ]# v- s# N/ e# O* ?2 _2 g

, r) Y6 o: K+ m, m) `Cell morphology, flow cytometry data (forward and side scatter), and staining for the differentiation marker keratin-4 are consistent with the conclusion that CD71    cells are derived from the suprabasal compartment. This conclusion is supported by immunofluorescence studies demonstrating the highest CD71 staining in the suprabasal layers of the esophageal epithelium (Fig. 6). As would be expected of cells from the differentiated suprabasal compartment, the CD71    cells exhibited the lowest clonogenicity in vitro and no tissue-reconstituting activity.3 t; R8 Y  [; L' C6 H$ J% `
* S, d* G0 P7 z% n( N
The 6dim Population of Esophageal Epithelial Cells Fulfils Criteria Expected of an EarlyDifferentiating Compartment
2 d- k- h# E, `- M/ z8 C- v, u- A2 w2 o. `7 }& i6 k; o, e' H
By definition, the early differentiating compartment is characterized by cells that have left the cycling pool but are not yet demonstrating all the characteristics of fully mature differentiated cells. Like the CD71    cells, the 6dim cells appear to have a poor proliferative activity and a reduced capacity to reconstitute a normal esophageal epithelium in a tissue-reconstitution model (Fig. 7), suggesting that most have left the cell cycle and committed to differentiation. Indeed, although the 6dim cells express relatively low levels of the differentiation marker keratin-4, cell-tracking experiments suggest that these cells will eventually move into the CD71    compartment. Thus, the 6dim population appears to be enriched for cells that, having just undergone a cell division (possibly their last), are now destined to leave the basement membrane and differentiate into suprabasal cells. This would be consistent with their cell surface phenotype, as downregulation of 6 expression has been linked to detachment of keratinocytes from the basement membrane in other tissues . Interestingly, the CD71    population appears by flow cytometry to be 6 integrin-bright; however, because this technique measures total cell-associated fluorescence, the apparent increase in total 6 may not indicate an upregulation in the density of 6 expression on the cell surface but rather may be a reflection of the increase in cell size." S$ ^! W% p4 j3 ]% @; `

9 ]" E* ~4 ?/ gFigure 7. Proposed model of stem cell hierarchy in the esophageal epithelium of the mouse. Diagrammatic representation of the 6-CD71 phenotype illustrating the proposed parent-progeny/differentiation relationships between the 6-CD71-defined subpopulations. Arrows indicate movement of cells from the stem cell compartment, to the transit-amplifying, early differentiating, and finally the suprabasal differentiating compartments in the course of epithelial cell renewal and differentiation. Abbreviations: ED, early differentiating; SC, stem cell; SD, suprabasal differentiating; TA, transit-amplifying.! @3 ]3 j" ^' W4 n4 J+ K
+ x! g2 s, j" G9 P* D( ]& ?
The 6briCD71bri Population of Esophageal Epithelial Cells Fulfills Criteria Expected of a Transit-Amplifying Compartment0 L4 f, Z& G5 W; p) g

7 r! ?% q8 C0 E& V# ^$ k* I4 nThe transit-amplifying cells are the direct progeny of stem cells and form a pool of rapidly dividing cells that expand their own numbers to provide cells to the differentiating suprabasal compartment. The 6briCD71bri population represents the largest proportion of esophageal basal cells and is characterized by a high percentage of cells in S, G2, and M phases of the cell cycle and a high level of incorporation of BrdU following a single pulse. These data are consistent with the 6briCD71bri population representing the transit-amplifying compartment. The 6briCD71bri cells are able to form an epithelium in a tissue-reconstitution assay, indicating that they are not yet committed to differentiation. However, cell-tracking experiments demonstrate that cells from this population will eventually move to the early differentiated population (6dim) and, ultimately, differentiate into mature suprabasal cells.0 R: ^3 s0 a* a8 o

/ b7 k" H: c+ g+ u  v0 ?The 6briCD71dim Population of Esophageal Epithelial Cells Fulfills Criteria Expected of a Stem Cell Compartment( H* M* P8 g6 p- n

}5 s4 e* `. o% NThe stem cell compartment is ultimately responsible for the renewal of tissues undergoing continuous turnover. The defining characteristics of stem cells are sustained self-renewal and tissue regeneration, although these criteria are often difficult to demonstrate experimentally.
4 j: \% v/ j  T! R3 d3 [- S  N+ d, ?7 L6 ~( E& t
Typically, epithelial stem cells tend to be small, quiescent, undifferentiated blast-like cells . The 6briCD71dim cells efficiently regenerate a complete epithelium in the tissue-reconstitution assay (Fig. 5), demonstrating their potency. Furthermore, by serially passaging 6briCD71dim cells through the tissue-reconstitution model, we not only were able to demonstrate the capacity for self-renewal but also increased long-term proliferative capacity compared with the other cell populations (data not shown).
1 Q/ j* y" z. g# B6 h$ ~9 A" ?; c8 M0 m; T* P3 k; B5 A
Esophageal Stem Cell Hierarchy8 k' }# s# L/ m5 T3 s, V

: s" l8 p9 @" |( t3 X( pBased on the data presented above, we propose a model of the esophageal stem cell hierarchy (outlined in Fig. 7) in which the 6briCD71dim population represents the stem cell compartment. Cells then sequentially progress through the 6briCD71bri (transit-amplifying) and 6dim (early differentiating) compartments, eventually emerging as mature, differentiated cells that constitute the suprabasal layers of the esophageal epithelium (CD71   ).( D' B+ r$ k3 r: S4 E7 O5 A  E7 `
# }, O6 ]& T0 U* A
Consistent with our model, CD71 expression in the basal layer of the mouse esophagus alternates between areas of low expression and regions of high expression, and the transition between the two appears to be gradual rather than abrupt (Fig. 6). This is consistent with the flow cytometric data, which suggest that there is a continuum of expression levels. We propose that the areas of lowest CD71 expression contain the putative stem cells and that these regions merge into regions of high expression, which contain progressively more committed transit-amplifying (6briCD71bri) and early postmitotic (6dim and also CD71bri) cells that ultimately transit into the suprabasal layers where CD71 expression is the highest.
; x0 a! p; |" f! T
5 o8 ~6 d! x& T; B) aAlthough our in vivo cell turnover studies were clearly able to differentiate between the 6briCD71dim (stem) and 6briCD71bri (transit-amplifying) cell populations, it has proven difficult to separate these populations using the tissue-reconstitution assay. Similarly, we have previously reported that extensive tissue-regenerative capacity measured over the course of 6¨C10 weeks can be elicited from keratinocyte stem, transit-amplifying, and early differentiating cells isolated from human foreskin  and suggests that the basal cells of the esophagus are likely to be organized in a biological continuum whereby tissue-regenerating potency is lost gradually as cells progress from being stem cells to functional end cells. Furthermore, it is also important to recognize that liberation of cells from their normal tissue constraints, which is required to assay subsets of epithelial cells in vitro and in vivo, may result in revealing their potential ability for proliferation or tissue regeneration and may not necessarily reflect their actual properties in situ.
% F) [# ~+ B% R0 {% J: v, k) H) B2 Z& [! a/ D& c0 {
DISCLOSURES, s) j% `, R( h. b1 I! i8 t
. [; y3 j/ ~1 ?# w$ j( ]
The authors indicate no potential conflicts of interest.
# x/ t! A7 B" l+ Q1 G1 [7 F8 ^! u# b9 A" F  X& B7 S
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS3 N9 c* d0 m2 N  b8 i: t; W
( M6 l# O% V* A  |, B2 c& h) z
We thank Ralph Rossi for invaluable help and advice with flow cytometry and cell sorting and Ivan Bertoncello for valuable discussions. D.C. is the recipient of a Surgeon-Scientist Fellowship from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a postgraduate research scholarship from the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia.* X3 ?6 r6 F8 F. o3 u
          【参考文献】; E: k* d& ?+ S% J: J. }
; R' m* M( S* f  h: H

) q' `3 `: L1 G! CPotten CS. The epidermal proliferative unit: The possible role of the central basal cell. Cell Tissue Kinet 1974;7:77¨C88.
" j. R2 m' b- M0 Q+ D1 _) k) y
* y4 B3 g9 V5 U! d( K& YPotten CS, Loeffler M. A comprehensive model of the crypts of the small intestine of the mouse provides insight into the mechanisms of cell migration and the proliferation hierarchy. J Theor Biol 1987;127:381¨C391.
' D. Q& ?9 F7 L% G+ @# {
& y. V) f- `4 ~- Z1 s. h( O6 e4 X9 YMorris RJ, Fischer SM, Slaga TJ. Evidence that a slowly cycling subpopulation of adult murine epidermal cells retains carcinogen. Cancer Res 1986;46:3061¨C3066.2 n" ]3 }( l) u

) B  c) `% P; E9 d7 T  K% SLi A, Simmons PJ, Kaur P. Identification and isolation of candidate human keratinocyte stem cells based on cell surface phenotype. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1998;95:3902¨C3907.: T" E8 t0 p$ F! u

: ~  t, H6 g2 nTrempus CS, Morris RJ, Bortner CD et al. Enrichment for living murine keratinocytes from the hair follicle bulge with the cell surface marker CD34. J Invest Dermatol 2003;120:501¨C511.
, _6 r3 J9 w9 @7 O  T% a* T. E# n, f. D* l
Visser JW, Van Bekkum DW. Purification of pluripotent hemopoietic stem cells: Past and present. Exp Hematol 1990;18:248¨C256.
" c; ?# m; V8 Q: v2 V% P, m/ c7 L4 V4 y2 {5 v% ]
Leblond CP, Greulich RC, Pereira JPM. Relationship of cell formation and cell migration in the renewal of stratified squamous epithelia. Adv Biol Skin 1964;5:36¨C67.+ J& N. E9 M. l, Q! N) B

" Y) I, @8 F6 l. }# X4 eTani H, Morris RJ, Kaur P. Enrichment for murine keratinocyte stem cells based on cell surface phenotype. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000;97:10960¨C10965.& e1 Y* C( a3 F

1 M- S7 p; M# x8 s- ^) HTaswell C. Limiting dilution assays for the determination of immunocompetent cell frequencies. I. Data analysis. J Immunol 1981;126:1614¨C1619.9 g8 G$ A4 K, B
1 I; ~  C) b" W+ J/ l
Pouliot N, Redvers RP, Ellis S et al. Optimization of a transplant model to assess skin reconstitution from stem cell-enriched primary human keratinocyte populations. Exp Dermatol 2005;14:60¨C69.6 i( H) s2 J) h3 a$ E; X

j( r0 L' |+ PLeube RE, Bader BL, Bosch FX et al. Molecular characterization and expression of the stratification-related cytokeratins 4 and 15. J Cell Biol 1988;106:1249¨C1261.1 j! |; ^$ }& e6 x+ X( U) U

1 \  Q3 U5 k* Z8 A8 N, `Scheving LA, Gardner W. Circadian regulation of CREB transcription factor in mouse esophagus. Am J Physiol 1998;274:C1011¨CC1016.
) z9 _% f& a- W- B. A
% E. X: h% B- _$ e, [* {5 y* @! ZLi A, Pouliot N, Redvers R et al. Extensive tissue-regenerative capacity of neonatal human keratinocyte stem cells and their progeny. J Clin Invest 2004;113:390¨C400.$ H& t( W9 }* I: i; g) C* O; O

6 ?3 u! u# D+ B) `Thomas GA, Williams D, Williams ED. The demonstration of tissue clonality by X-linked enzyme histochemistry. J Pathol 1988;155:101¨C108.; u, E$ P7 Z! H; _/ f1 N: R

$ a+ _' F( ]& U4 x7 x" a6 a& H; y5 _Potten CS, Wichmann HE, Loeffler M et al. Evidence for discrete cell kinetic subpopulations in mouse epidermis based on mathematical analysis. Cell Tissue Kinet 1982;15:305¨C329.& [$ |. R) q; T/ ^6 m! `7 r

. |, C9 c# {; _+ Q- F$ u/ yBradford GB, Williams B, Rossi R et al. Quiescence, cycling, and turnover in the primitive hematopoietic stem cell compartment. Exp Hematol 1997;25:445¨C453.: p, ^) W4 M; C% ?. b/ U2 J1 W! T
# {; ?, q8 K! P( R. p& Q. s1 N
Potten CS, Loeffler M. Stem cells: Attributes, cycles, spirals, pitfalls and uncertainties. Lessons for and from the crypt. Development 1990;110:1001¨C1020.

积分
威望
包包
沙发
发表于 2015-5-26 12:54 |只看该作者
不错,感谢楼主

积分
威望
包包
藤椅
发表于 2015-6-29 15:27 |只看该作者
真是佩服得六体投地啊