A system to study cells with cancer stem cell properties   [复制链接]

积分
威望
包包

优秀版主 专家 金话筒

楼主
发表于 2011-8-23 12:01 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
Research Journal Highlights- ^& E" a' e+ j- t8 l' u6 N0 N" b& ^
A system to study cells with cancer stem cell properties0 g1 z  i; u: k3 j. G8 V
Nature Cell Biology, August 22, 2011
0 H; z  ^0 R6 I, G) v8 y: c4 o; O9 d' g/ l6 g/ {  _' \. M. e
Terminally differentiated non-cancerous human cells can be reprogrammed in culture to exhibit characteristics usually associated with ‘cancer stem cells’, and promote tumour growth when injected into mice. This experimental method, published online in Nature Cell Biology, could in future be used to study certain tumours.
% T3 R6 y( W$ k6 U* X
0 B+ q  T* s* X3 wExperimental evidence indicates that in some tumours cancerous growth is driven by a fraction of cells with specific proliferation characteristics, termed cancer stem cells. The expression of proteins implicated in cancer growth has been shown to induce initially non-tumorigenic differentiated human cells to form tumours in mice. Paola Scaffidi and Tom Misteli find that expression of such proteins induces a small subset of cells to adopt a primitive state with self-renewal properties. These cells also have the ability to generate tumours containing more differentiated cell types when injected into mice. This particular subset of cells therefore shares properties with the cancer stem cells that have been proposed to drive tumorigenesis in some specific cancers. The authors suggest that this in vitro experimental system could be exploited to study such tumours. . u, z* b- H8 b, l
) }+ X/ Z9 R( Y/ ^

积分
威望
包包

优秀版主 专家 金话筒

沙发
发表于 2011-8-23 12:02 |只看该作者
" y3 W) o8 s5 ?3 _* a5 r
In vitro generation of human cells with cancer stem cell properties
# I3 J6 r8 u- X0 w3 PPaola Scaffidi1 & Tom Misteli1
1 I6 r* P* B* \; s9 KAffiliations Contributions Corresponding author Journal name:
; n2 ]+ h/ |) ZNature Cell Biology
7 d* P4 [* Z6 R9 Y- ~( VYear published:
1 A6 E5 k: c( U* K0 o1 d7 z8 U(2011)
  ~7 U' ]) }7 t/ jDOI:
/ a. r. b3 N' p& M# [doi:10.1038/ncb2308 6 j# V4 s! L5 S& e: w
Received 28 June 2010 Accepted 27 June 2011 Published online 21 August 2011 ' I" h9 ?0 Y0 C, e6 |0 L* @9 u

: n0 x  n6 \, q Cancer stem cells (CSCs) have been implicated in the maintenance and progression of several types of cancer. The origin and cellular properties of human CSCs are poorly characterized. Here we show that CSC-like cells can be generated in vitro by oncogenic reprogramming of human somatic cells during neoplastic transformation. We find that in vitro transformation confers stem-cell properties to primary differentiated fibroblasts, including the ability to self-renew and to differentiate along multiple lineages. Tumours induced by transformed fibroblasts are hierarchically organized, and the cells that act as CSCs to initiate and maintain tumour growth are marked by the stage-specific embryonic antigen SSEA-1. Heterogeneous lineages of cancer cells in the bulk of the tumour arise through differentiation of SSEA-1+ fibroblasts, and differentiation is associated with loss of tumorigenic potential. These findings establish an experimental system to characterize cellular and molecular properties of human CSCs and demonstrate that somatic cells have the potential to de-differentiate and acquire properties of CSCs.
3 Q& P& ?2 G& A' f( ?: f6 \+ h& i; D+ H
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 2 + 10 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 2  包包 + 10   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包

金话筒 优秀版主 帅哥研究员 积极份子 优秀会员 小小研究员

藤椅
发表于 2011-8-23 14:01 |只看该作者
好文章啊!