威望
包包
楼主
发表于 2011-9-22 03:30 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
本帖最后由 细胞海洋 于 2011-9-22 19:49 编辑
) ?" g* L7 T- T6 K. J" V$ P7 g& m# D# V' A' F0 ~

7 U+ |4 j1 U, ]4 o1 B       
$ P7 i7 \1 k7 ?/ z$ f/ |" K( n
) @! C' \/ [" Y& f8 sHaving over 30 years of experience in research, research management and research training Alan Johnson wanted to share his advice with researchers who have recently completed or are about to complete their doctorate. This led to the production of the Booklet “Charting a Course for a Successful Research Career: A Guide for Early Career Researchers”
) N, z+ |) H5 h) g. G! e- ]! S( `
The guide is written with two audiences in mind:5 d/ u* n1 U2 B( v+ F0 Y6 i

7 }( k- T3 q; c    researchers who are still planning and designing their research career no matter how much time has passed since receiving their PhD.3 c7 c7 c6 }% B5 l2 F2 r( }& V
    senior researchers and senior research managers who are aware of the mentoring and assistance that early career researchers require these days.3 k3 I7 K3 O+ t- L  X. U7 {5 N9 N
8 v$ q) P+ c# Q/ h/ N+ N) M9 V1 }
Due to the international nature of research, the guide is very broad but offers a wide range of advice from Planning your career to preparing a grant funding application, and networking to society membership.
1 M- |: l2 K* j       
9 f! o# n* D4 P/ |5 n+ c        " W6 ~; @% n5 x9 a2 t3 f  t9 d- W1 }
0 J: A( `& a: Q5 l- V
Why should I review manuscripts as an Early Career Researcher (ECR)7 A& h8 `3 N+ ]7 ?
An introduction to four important points to consider for your future career planning – responsibility, being informed, status and recognition.
8 ]- K6 |1 H+ m5 b8 y+ N$ I0 J6 T6 z" A+ h: \% G2 @
Picture this situation - you're a week behind producing the slides for the talk you are giving at the conference halfway around the world coming up very soon. The deadline for the application of the extension of your 3 year contract is only several months away, and it's some time since you've had any real work-life balance. Then a letter and the manuscript that you are requested to review in the next few weeks appears on your desk or computer. There is an enormous temptation to simply return the manuscript unread or a more even easier option is to put it in your bottom draw and forget it. However, as an Early Career Researcher (ECR) it is essential that you give the manuscript priority and review it as timely as you can and to the highest level of quality that you can.
" j) h  ^0 R3 B( E
( r, h5 D' R: ~$ d+ |3 }5 kI strongly suggest this as there are a number of reasons why it is important that researchers give priority to reviewing the manuscripts written from the work of others, and this is especially so for ECRs. Many journals are finding it more and more difficult to obtain timely, high-quality reviewers’ reports, because globally the competition for research funding and publication in high-quality journals is becoming much more competitive and time for reviewing is becoming very scarce. However, it is extremely important that you as an ECR contribute in this way to the global research community.1 a" b4 d/ |7 C8 Q; R4 w$ L
8 _7 @# _* h8 s% T  o$ h3 W$ _
Four important points to consider for your future career planning  _$ c4 n- ~1 W2 e+ E
Here I have summarized four important points to consider when deciding whether you should review a manuscript or not. I hope that this, along with the guide, will prove to be a useful source of information and inspiration:; Y9 i. ]2 |. U7 x; p" n
& b. D+ \0 J  s, r! ]. D8 j" A! X
1. Responsibility
& a8 q. e3 s6 z( t( E. sThe major reason for this is one that might be called altruistic. It is your duty as an active member of the global research community to participate in all aspects of the research endeavour, and providing a high quality review of the work of others informed by your expertise and experience in the same area is really a duty that you must perform. When you submit your next manuscript for review you will naturally expect the same courtesy and altruistic input for the review of your work that you provide and being part of the community it is essential that this is carried out by all.
% m+ A" p& t) b& ~& n& S$ C5 Z" U& g2 I3 j
Several other reasons are also very important but are perhaps more personal and actually will assist your work in the longer term. It is essential here that I clearly highlight the fact that I would never suggest anything unethical or inappropriate and you will not do anything unethical or inappropriate, but you will get personal benefit out of reviewing the work of others.
8 T$ U' P! w* b& J) O9 E8 M
0 i9 E. R/ _5 Q$ I7 Y2. Being informed
7 u7 ]  e& G& d: t+ NYou will see what is happening elsewhere by your major competitors in your research area. Again, it is essential that no inappropriate use is made of this information that was provided to you confidentially, but naturally you will become aware of the quality and quantity of work going on elsewhere in your research area. You cannot and should not use that information to your immediate advantage, but this will of course add to your overall knowledge base and inform the directions of your future work.; z, S/ Q" F7 q

1 T& f! Z: M, S3. Status
, \) A- d7 U, \" fEven being invited to review a manuscript for a high quality journal is an indication of your status among your peers. The editor or editors of the journal clearly know of you and your work and consider that you have the skills and expertise to provide valuable content on the worth of the manuscript submitted to you. Especially as an ECR, this is very high recognition of your research ability and listing appropriately on your curriculum vitae and applications for promotion or grant funding that you review for specific high-quality journals will stand you in extremely good stead for your future career.
! `. u8 O0 x, [3 K2 G1 |0 V
( m0 z4 \* E; ?" R+ n4. Recognition
+ t' B$ q* [8 H" \7 X4 T3 DThe fact that the editor or editors of the journal know of you and your work will make it easier to facilitate the review and ideally acceptance of your future publications submitted to that journal. In time, you may even be invited to become a member of the Editorial board of the journal because of the quality and quantity of the reviewing you have done for them.
7 ~) R; H6 L* Y) y/ ^
2 k( P! Y- x  q, W' W. Z$ q6 x5 sAs an ECR these are all very important points to consider for your future career planning and highlight again the importance of your timely and high-quality review of manuscripts submitted to you for review.
: A" R/ @/ B! c- y) \# {" f( F: q. l; Y' w; k4 l' R
[hide][/hide]
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 2 + 10 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 2  包包 + 10   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包

金话筒 优秀会员 帅哥研究员

沙发
发表于 2011-9-23 04:36 |只看该作者