stem cell news 110927-1006 [复制链接]

积分
威望
包包

精华勋章 金话筒 优秀会员

楼主
发表于 2011-10-7 22:57 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
Voice from last issue:4 |; W7 n( [: i! f

/ Y  Z' w9 Q$ l/ Z" j' n+ d"The differences we found look like they largely have to do with the fundamental origins of the cells. So the ES cells are more predisposed to a neural fate, and it turns
) C2 H$ k7 A& iout that things that were enriched in the ES cells all reflected that sort of neural predisposition. [By comparison], with the iPS cells the differences more reflected their mesodermal origins."--Justin Brumbaugh, a graduate student in Coon's lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.# R1 m/ l4 w' l. v4 P7 a7 h* M0 i

4 r. [: L3 F$ S' `"These long strands of radial glial cells amount to a potentially promising repair network that is perfectly situated to help people recover from spinal cord injuries or spinal disorders. For some reason, they aren't re-activated very effectively in adulthood. The key is to find a way of stimulating them so they reprise their role of generating new neural cells when needed." --Jane Roskams, a professor in the University of British Columbia Dept. of Zoology.
0 }7 B- ?& [) M0 h. h) \) @- P$ Q  h' H  s  U
“We are extremely excited to participate in this landmark clinical trial. It signifies a major advance in translating an innovative research discovery into clinical therapy.”--Stanford neurosurgeon Dr. Gary Steinberg, who implanted the cells in the latest patient, said in a press release Tuesday.
8 X. Z! v6 e* T; `8 q! g7 k* b% Q/ a) w4 s
“Skipping pluripotency provides you the opportunity to avoid any possible tumorigenic source of cells. We believe that we are providing now a new source of cells which have an improved potential for these treatments and can be translated in the human systems.”-- Molecular biologist Vania Broccoli of the Stem Cells and Neurogenesis Unit at the San Raffaele Scientific Institute in Italy.6 k- V# J& g% {. ~: |

+ X* t3 N( E) S8 Y. f7 j0 P9 }"We demonstrated that we were able to reverse the process of aging for human adult stem cells by intervening with the activity of non-protein coding RNAs originated from genomic regions once dismissed as non-functional 'genomic junk'."-- Victoria Lunyak, associate professor at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging.+ O- _; P  R* ^3 T

' M2 J% U% w2 s- d0 N"My mother said the PLA (Chinese army) doesn't lie. That's why she trusted them."--Zhou Junjie, son of Fan Hongkun suffering from late-stage liver cirrhosis.
) \% O8 f$ n8 n6 L& L9 v: [) x# R
5 o9 |- \& c( u. K' ?' l"Regulatory agencies such as the FDA can ensure that cell therapy that reaches patients is safe, effective, and that quality control is established for isolating the cells, manipulating them outside of the body, and delivering them."--Jeffrey Karp, director of the Laboratory for Advanced Biomaterials and Stem-Cell-Based Therapeutics at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Cambridge.
( K) F$ ^( X# R& A% i& z. w  ^3 I# C; t6 L. A7 s  `  v
"Many people at the Salk wanted to work in this area, but they didn't know where to start, because they didn't have access to these cells, they didn't have access to the technology. But once we had a core facility, suddenly, a large number of labs, 16 to 17, began to do work in the area of regenerative medicine. My lab had almost no one working on stem cells, and now, there are six to eight people working on stem cells."--Veteran researcher Inder Verma at the Salk Institute.
9 ~3 i1 }! T% x! ^, Q3 {) B
0 F) E/ m" B1 Z"The problem is, frankly, that they oversold expectations during Prop. 71. So everyone's running around saying, 'Why aren't there cures yet?' The scientists I think were realistic, but the political establishment sold the expectation that if you simply pass Proposition 71, we'd be having stem cell cures in a year or so. And that wasn't going to happen."--John Simpson, a spokesman for the group Consumer Watchdog.
# I( I! V4 q' K( ?/ x& r
1 `$ ^3 X- H* z. }2 N' ]; e4 b"You can't even imagine how risk-averse I am. I have grown cells for 20 years and never put them in humans, but now I see the results. I have 32 projects worldwide; I monitor them every week and I closely follow the thought leaders in the field."--Minger, the global head of Research & Development (R&D) for cell technologies at GE Healthcare.
3 d$ _2 l6 i, o' F3 r& V7 ~2 ]8 k" G& b( ?8 Y; @
: F) j* t# S5 K9 G, m; Z5 h' F
This issue:
' W  I+ [2 t2 J9 n; r' H! Z7 h. j2 `4 Z+ U; H# `. S

9 E$ f5 `" R5 K- p/ U( X  v* o; t0 Y/ ?) N) P' z! w. q
Video news:8 h5 L* S9 m- s6 ~; F4 q' ^
Stem cell experts gather in Austin! z/ S) t5 b0 |4 X, f2 i% y/ K
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/health/stem-cell-experts-gather-in-austin: p4 j  M4 i% U0 f

2 g! f: R- N: E9 f# \Stem cell breast operation warning from surgeons
" C) m2 a/ `! l- nhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15141265( A4 @( e7 y# K* ~( b

7 D. _% q4 v, T; F' j. V
" N* F, z* i( m# i, URadio:
& i8 Y, [+ i& K* NAberdeen study tackles osteoarthritis with stem cells; Q, o" q+ N- k. A3 R2 W* }
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15163610
! T% ?8 C( k# r! o/ Q
% |: T8 f4 n0 O1 i. `- QThe future: Personalised stem cells? ! ]# }& D; J* e; k
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9608000/9608620.stm
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 30 + 50 极好资料

总评分: 威望 + 30  包包 + 50   查看全部评分

‹ 上一主题|下一主题
你需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册
验证问答 换一个

Archiver|干细胞之家 ( 吉ICP备2021004615号-3 )