积分
威望
包包

精华勋章 金话筒 优秀会员

楼主
发表于 2011-10-16 22:21 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
Voice from last issue:  a  w% x3 m% [. p# G' N
$ l  x# y- }2 q# }3 \! `4 m
"We're now one step closer to developing a combination cell and gene therapy method that will allow us to use patients' own cells to treat them."--Linzhao Cheng, Ph.D, a professor of medicine and associate director for basic research in the Division of Hematology and also a member of the Johns Hopkins Institute for Cell Engineering.; ^* c" K+ l9 H

# s/ j) [6 k1 Q: @* P$ `"Where do these cells go, days, weeks and months later? How do we know that they've grafted to the right cells? Or have they grafted in the wrong place? Or died? The reporter can show us the answers."--Associate Professor of Biological Sciences Eric Ahrens of Carnegie Mellon University.7 l1 W) M2 w! h( ]# D; x

, i, |2 \" O0 H"We have the therapies that will replace cells in the spinal cord. We have therapies that can regenerate the spinal cord. This is the first time in human history I think we'll be able to do this and it would be wonderful if Austin is the first place to have this done."--Dr. Wise Young, former physician for the late actor Christopher Reeve
" T  `, h8 R+ z! u9 \8 Y( z6 Z, H" f. ]$ _% h3 n
"This is a disease that kills adults within four to five years of diagnosis and there is no treatment. But in our model system the stem cells look very promising and they actually get rid of the fibrosis. So very excited about this and it just will take a while to do it safely and get it to patients. But I think we're going to get there. It’s looking good."--Dr. David Wharburton of USC’s Keck School of Medicine Children’s Hospital.# z4 c" A+ `( z& V4 m" j

0 t5 ^! b2 A+ Z/ u$ Z7 T# |7 k" u"There's very little evidence that bone marrow stem cells taken from one site and injected into another will do anything. The most likely outcome is that if you put stem cells in places that are unfamiliar to them, like a knee or shoulder, most of them will just die."--  Theodore Friedmann, a University of California at San Diego geneticist who heads the World Anti‐Doping Agency's gene doping panel and is charged with advising WADA on stem cell policy." G% |" J# F3 d+ _4 L5 b  e% Z" j

& ^" t6 }9 i% L/ o1 }' s1 F+ K"We've shown that the standard reprogramming method can generate induced pluripotent stem cells that have very few DNA structural mutations, which are often linked to dangerous cell changes such as tumorigenesis." --Kristin Baldwin, associate professor at The Scripps Research Institute's Dorris Neuroscience Center.( `  l  u; v6 O2 V9 i0 G( C7 J

) o- e2 b( e* ^"We need to find a way of removing the genome of the oocyte [egg cell] without removing the function that it performs in terms of development. This function is probably not the oocyte genome itself but something associated with it."-- Dieter Egli of the New York Stem Cell Foundation  V) V- P% S% c0 K2 a7 D* M
8 H9 Z- w  s/ o& f9 ]$ \. B

. Q! o' W( l6 X5 O3 O8 ~; |This issue:$ E1 K2 E7 s' q  m  h. W4 K1 D
# ]1 @) J" t, B/ S6 G

, m. k, p. }4 a& Z1 j/ @
附件: 你需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册
已有 3 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
naturalkillerce + 2 + 5 好资料
tpwang + 10 + 10 极好资料
细胞海洋 + 30 + 50 原创内容

总评分: 威望 + 42  包包 + 65   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包

金话筒 优秀会员

沙发
发表于 2011-10-16 22:46 |只看该作者
thanks

积分
威望
包包

论坛元老 精华勋章 优秀会员 金话筒 专家

藤椅
发表于 2011-10-17 09:44 |只看该作者
回复 kittybruce 的帖子% `. u7 C8 s  ]* D7 e1 T

Z: h  g2 d, ~0 p3 o这期新闻有一条挺有趣。似乎是本届世界干细胞高峰会上的一个讨论期间,有观众问谁是当今干细胞研究领域的爱因斯坦以及Steve Jobs。关于谁是干细胞爱因斯坦的回答说目前还找不出一个有爱因斯坦级别的“明星”。关于谁是干细胞界的Steve Jobs,回答说没有人能在自己家的车库里搞出革命性的干细胞产品(与iPhone之类相比)。因为,FDA要管。而Jobs不曾面对这个婆婆。
1 K0 `, K: m* f# c. h1 a+ {# Z& k' e' D8 ^1 V4 f" T
生物医药和生物技术曾被盖茨称为引领下一代产业革命的领域,显然,从完全不同的产业规则上来讲,对公众的“误导”不轻,呵呵。
! w  T* c/ G3 N
. Q; j. e* e/ E3 z' B" i0 QWho is the Einstein or Steve Jobs of the stem cell field?
4 x4 D4 q, ]9 |8 q# sPosted on October 7, 2011 by admin8 E/ Z, Z" u3 o6 T( J0 F
At this week’s World Stem Cell Summit, during one of the panel discussion I was on a member of the audience
! ~: L' k! m3 f" l0 p4 e; easked a great question.
9 h+ l1 D. V0 ~4 T, M* A( r0 yIn terms of making a broader impact on politics, who out there in the stem cell field might be the Einstein of the+ Z9 Q* @( V1 L
stem cell field? Who has the gravitas to write a letter like Einstein did along with fellow physicists Szilard and
- B4 {5 x% w8 o4 K2 |: gEugene Wigner to argue to Roosevelt about the need for a U.S. atomic program?
& v* R1 H7 Z) V& b! R7 B$ u) \My answer was that the stem cell field has quite a few leaders, but that I didn’t see any single person who was at7 L8 W/ V+ h6 U* z
the rock star level of Einstein that the public knows very well. There are many amazing leaders in the stem cell
& u6 f2 }/ H) d# ~/ bfield.0 H. _% C) _6 e
With Steve Jobs passing away, which is a very sad occasion, I also got to thinking is their a leader in the stem cell
8 k& c# ]  @/ j* e- e4 d; f; v! sfield who has the creative genius of Jobs combined with his ability to turn things into practical, ingenious
7 Y9 u8 a9 l& Y: i' ^: ~- `products., i  r8 R& Y1 U- g% c0 y! C5 p
I’d be curious of your opinions! Are these leaders out there?+ h0 t6 Q, c) J
Of course one fundamental difference betweens stem cell science and computer or physics is that our products
0 x( h* k/ N  x. K1 B9 g8 Zhave to go through FDA approval before they can be sold. I don’t think anyone can make some revolutionary
9 w2 {( \" Y( i2 l+ kstem cell product in their parents garage like Jobs did.
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 10 + 20 欢迎参与讨论

总评分: 威望 + 10  包包 + 20   查看全部评分

积分
威望
包包

精华勋章 金话筒 优秀会员

板凳
发表于 2011-10-26 22:22 |只看该作者
干细胞之家微信公众号
回复 tpwang 的帖子
' g" f9 w/ g( {
: |4 }. F- w1 v, E" g* E来自颇受关注的knoepfler的blog,nature还曾对此博主进行报道,评论写blog对scientist的影响
已有 1 人评分威望 包包 收起 理由
细胞海洋 + 2 + 10 欢迎参与讨论

总评分: 威望 + 2  包包 + 10   查看全部评分

头像被屏蔽

禁止访问

积分
威望
包包
报纸
发表于 2011-11-3 00:34 |只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
‹ 上一主题|下一主题